Both parties say actions in alleged sexual assault consensual

Both parties involved in an alleged sexual assault in Mayflower on Sunday morning have voluntarily come forward and agreed their actions were consensual.

No further action will be taken regarding the case, officials said.

Charles Green, the assistant vice president for the UI police, said on Monday morning the reported victim decided not to speak with police, leaving authorities without a basis for investigation.

UI spokesman Steve Parrott said he was unsure of when the students went to UI police, but he believes it was Monday afternoon.

The individual believed to be a victim was not the person who filed the report, Green said.

Parrott said he understood, to the best of his knowledge, that the then-alleged victim’s roommate talked to residence hall staff, and the complaint filtered up the chain of University Housing and to UI police.

University Housing and UI police sent a joint e-mail to all students living in residence halls Sunday, as required under the Clery Act whenever there is a threat on campus.

Because there is no longer believed to be a threat, that warning has been withdrawn, Parrott said in an e-mail.

The then-alleged assault was reported at 2 a.m. Sunday. According to University Housing and UI police, an unidentified male had followed a female into the first-floor bathroom in Mayflower and held her against her will.

Police did not find the individual believed to be responsible.

Officials sent out a description and asked students for help in finding the alleged perpetrator, in addition to asking students to maintain security precautions.

There are many reasons a person may drop a complaint, said Rape Victim Advocacy Program executive director Karla Miller, though she said she could not speculate about this specific case.

Monique DiCarlo, the UI’s coordinator for sexual-misconduct response, said a complaint such as the one filed Sunday can be refiled. UI operations manual mandates that there is no time restriction for filing a complaint.

“It’s good that this issue has been resolved quickly, and that no sexual assault took place,” DiCarlo said. “I still urge all students who feel they have been harassed or assaulted to report to me or to UI police.”