Woodbury, Alexander win again

Dan Ahrens’ Armstrong Team continues to demonstrate that it’s the deepest team in the Prime Time League.

The group defeated Ray Swetalla’s Linn County Anesthesiologists, 101-82, behind a balanced attack offensively that overwhelms defenses.

“Well, we just have better depth on the bench,” Ahrens said. “Miles [Wentzien] is an unbelievable player who no one really knows about. He and Malik [Williams], the two of them really play well together because they’ve competed against each other in AAU.”

Wentzien of Missouri Western finished with 12 points on 5-of-5 shooting with 5 assists. Williams scored 9 points on 3-of-5 shooting from behind the arc.

The depth they provide for Williams has so far been unmatched in Prime Time.

But William Penn guard Dondre Alexander led the way for the team, recording 25 points, 7 rebounds, and 7 assists.

The performance once again showcased the brilliance of Alexander this summer, as superior athleticism and floor vision made it a long game for Swetalla’s squad.

Iowa center Adam Woodbury gave Ahrens’ team a double-double, pitching in 17 points and 13 rebounds. His presence down low on both ends is one not many, if any, can match in the league — and Sundayafternoon was no exception.

Wayne State point guard Kendall Jacks contributed 12 points and 7 boards for Ahrens as well. In all, the team featured six players who finished in double figures in scoring.

Iowa’s Peter Jok led the way for Swetalla with 29 points on 12-of-22 shooting from the field.

BlendCard, playing without three key players in Melsahn Basabe, Dale Jones, and Jason Price, was vastly outmatched from the beginning.

“It changed our entire scheme,” head coach Kevin Sanders said. “We were fortunate enough to have Aarias Austin; he actually stepped up and did a really nice job.”

And although Culver’s played without Iowa guard Anthony Clemmons, several other players picked up the slack.

Northern Iowa’s Robert Knar posted a team-high 31 points, shooting a red-hot 7-of-9 from the 3 zone. He also grabbed 15 boards.

Knar was one of four players for Culverx’s to post a double-double, along with Jeremy Morgan (23 points, 12 rebounds), Nicholas Baer (28 points, 10 rebounds, and Clay Cook (15 points, 16 rebounds).

Northern Iowa’s Austin subbed in for BlendCard and scored 37 points, and fellow Panther Paul Jesperson chipped in 30.

But already shorthanded, the team lost incoming Iowa freshman Brandon Hutton in the first half after he took an elbow to the eye. Ultimately, the decimation of its roster proved too much to overcome.

In the night’s final game, Marion Iron outlasted Pelling/Comfort Care, 105-86. Incoming Iowa freshman Andrew Fleming stole the show, scoring 27 points and adding 16 rebounds.