Wallflowers, Duncan Sheik bring back the ’90s

Sounds of sweet memories and feelings of nostalgia are guaranteed Friday night at the Homecoming concert. Immediately following the coronation of the Homecoming Court, the Wallflowers and Duncan Sheik will be performing a free show on the Pentacrest.

"The Homecoming show is always tailored to alumni," said Jack Baker, the SCOPE general manager. "We’re always looking for bands that formed in the ’70s, ’80s, or ’90s so we can aim toward that demographic."

SCOPE certainly achieved this goal with the Wallflowers, which formed in 1989. If the band name hasn’t sparked some sense of nostalgia already, its 1998 two-time Grammy-Award-winning single "One Headlight" just might do the trick.

"I’m really looking forward to seeing ‘One Headlight’ live, obviously," Katie DeRose of SCOPE said.

While the Wallflowers is the headline act, it isn’t the only performer students, alumni, and others can look forward to seeing.

Sheik, who made his way into the top 20 with his ’90s single "Barely Breathing," will open for the Wallflowers on Friday night. With hit songs in the ’90s, it’s no surprise that this isn’t the first time the two artists have played together.

"We actually had our first hits together at exactly the same time," Sheik said. "There were some radio shows that we played together, but it’s been a minute for us to be back together playing these bigger types of shows."

Recently, Sheik’s usual setting is a theater or small rock club, so he said he is excited to play for a larger crowd.

"It’s not like the Wallflowers are Metallica, but they keep things rocking," Sheik said. "So I’m going to try to do a set that is a little more energetic than what I might do in a different context, but I’ll let the Wallflowers be the ones to get the crowd really rowdy."

For those hoping this set includes "Barely Breathing," Sheik said he will definitely play some variation of the song, along with some newer material. Overall, he wants the crowd to chill out and enjoy the music before they rock out to the Wallflowers.

"My ultimate goal is always to create something that creates an emotional experience for the listener," he said. "I think pop music has the potential to do that."

With two successful artists from the ’90s bringing back older tunes, DeRose had similar feelings about the emotional connection between listeners and musicians, especially for the alumni.

"A huge part of the reason for the show is that the alumni put a huge amount of time and money into the university," DeRose said. "We want to do our best to give back and give them an entertaining show that they can all come to for free, along with current students."

MUSIC