Brands to coach U.S. World Team

Iowa head wrestling coach Tom Brands will head overseas early in September to help coach the U.S. World Team at the 2014 FILA Senior World Championships, USA Wrestling announced Thursday.

“I think everybody is after the same thing,” Brands said in a release. “The commitment is they want to win in 2014. We have guys who are hungry.”

Brands and Penn State head coach Cael Sanderson were named volunteer freestyle coaches and will work with national freestyle coach Bruce Burnett and assistant national freestyle coaches Bill Zadick and Brandon Slay. The freestyle competition is set for Sept. 8-9.

“There are guys who are first-time team members and want to be world champions,” Brands said. “We have [Jordan] Burroughs, but Burroughs needs help. We won’t win the Worlds as a team with just him. Performance is key from each of the team members.

“Our young attitude is good. They know the important year is the one upon us. They are not looking down the road. It is now, not 2016. I like that.”

Brands previously coached Team USA in the 2004 Olympics in Athens, Greece. That year, the United States won three medals. He also helped coach the 2003 World Team that placed second at the World Championships in New York City.

Brands will also serve as the personal coach for two members of the Hawkeye Wrestling Club who qualified for this year’s World Team: Tony Ramos (57 kg) and Brent Metcalf (65 kg). Both are former Hawkeye wrestlers.