Field hockey falls to No. 14, Cafone named Big Ten offensive player of the week

The Iowa field-hockey squad (5-3) moved down four spots in the rankings to No. 14 in the latest field-hockey coaches’ poll released on Tuesday.

This is the lowest the team has been in the polls this season. Head coach Tracey Griesbaum’s squad was ranked No. 13 to open the season and has been ranked as high as No. 8.

Penn State (5-3) now holds the highest ranking in the Big Ten, at No. 8. Northwestern (8-2) also jumped past the Hawkeyes to the No. 12 spot. Rounding out the top 20 for the Big Ten is Michigan (4-4) at No. 19.

The Big Ten also announced Tuesday that Hawkeye Natalie Cafone earned Offensive Player of the Week honors. The sophomore had her first hat trick of the season on Sunday in a 6-0 win against Kent State. The Fairfield, N.J., resident also recorded an assist in the contest and leads the Hawkeyes with 16 points and 7 goals this season.

“Natalie had a very productive weekend,” Griesbaum said in a release. “Not only did she help us get on the scoreboard with goals, she helped set up numerous other scoring opportunities. She works hard whether we have the ball or not, and her energy is a big spark.”

The squad will play Northwestern in Evanston at 2 p.m. Friday in its conference opener.

— by Danny Payne