Dolphins sign former Hawkeye Keenan Davis

The Miami Dolphins have signed former Iowa wide receiver Keenan Davis.

Miami was looking for some depth at wide receiver after Armon Binns suffered an injury in training camp. The Dolphins responded promptly by signing both Davis and Julius Pruitt.

Davis’s 6-2 frame gives Miami a bigger target. He hauled in 112 catches for 1,470 yards during his four years in the Black and Gold.

The Dolphins made room for Davis and Pruitt on their roster by waiving the injured Binns and Jasper Collins, another receiver. Pruitt was previously with Miami back in 2011 but was cut in training camp last season. He mostly played special teams.

“I’m really humble to have this opportunity,” Davis said at a media availability earlier on Wednesday. “It’s definitely a great opportunity for me to come out and show what I can do.”

Along with Pruitt and Davis, former Hawkeye Marvin McNutt, Jeff Fuller, Brian Tyms, Chad Bumphis, Kenny Stafford, and Andrell Smith are competing for the two receiver spots behind Mike Wallace, Brian Hartline, and Brandon Gibson.

“It’s great,” Davis said, when asked about competing with McNutt again. “This is really my first time being away from home. I was born in Iowa, I went to Iowa, and so to have a familiar face makes it feel at home.”

Davis became the 35th Iowa player to surpass 1,000 career receiving yards and 19th with 100 receptions. He hauled in 47 catches for 571 yards in his senior season with the Hawkeyes, and ranked 10th in the Big Ten in receptions per game that year (3.9). The Cedar Rapids native started 24-straight games in his final years in the Black and Gold. Davis left the Iowa program having scored seven times.

McNutt was named the 2011 Richter-Howard Wide Receiver of the Year in the Big Ten. He led the conference in receiving yards per game (101.2) that season.