Hawkeye men’s tennis falls 7-0 to Northwestern

The Hawkeyes slump continues as the Iowa men’s tennis team was shut out in Evanston on Sunday afternoon. The 18th ranked Wildcats proved to be too much to handle for the Hawkeyes.

Sunday’s meet started off with highly contested doubles play. Iowa’s Matt Hagan and Jonas Dierckx gutted out a 9-8 victory at the number two doubles position, the Iowa lone win on the day. Garret Dunn and Michael Swank fell 8-5 to Northwestern’s number one doubles pair of Raleigh Smith of Sidarth Balaji. Junior Chase Tomlins played alongside Joey White for the first time this season but the duo lost by a count of 9-7. Sunday’s matchup with the Wildcats marks the fourth straight meet that the Hawkeyes have failed to pick up a point in doubles play.

Singles play wasn’t much better for the Hawkeyes. Iowa didn’t win a match against the Wildcats and five of six matches ended in straight sets. Dunn was the only Hawkeye to win a set during singles play, but the captain came up short in his match by losing a third set tiebreaker 7-6. Hagan was defeated by Spencer Wolf, the 120th ranked player in the country by a score of 6-4, 6-2. Swank played a tight match with Northwestern’s Alex Pasareanu. However, the Wildcat Sophomore defeated Swank 7-5, 6-4.

Iowa will be off the next week as it prepares for its spring trip to California. The Hawkeyes next meet will be at the University of San Francisco on March 17th.