Beer of the Week: Green Flash Palate Wrecker

Product of: Green Flash Brewing Co., San Diego, Calif.

Serving Style: On-tap, pint glass

I pulled up a stool at the Clinton Street Social Club to be told that they had a beer so special, so rare, that the entire state of Iowa had only gotten four kegs. Sadly, by the time this story is published, the beer will likely be gone, but hopefully, the Social Club will reload this bursting-with-taste beer soon.

Smell: The hops are the focus here, and they are extremely pronounced, but they do not overshadow the citrus flavors also at play. My best guess is that the beer includes grapefruit, lemon, tangerine, pineapple, and mango, finished off with a bite of pine. 4.3/5

Appearance: The head on the beer is pretty sturdy, and the body was a hearty amber color, as best I could tell in the bar light. The foam is a surprisingly dark color of beige, and the glass-lacing lasts well after the beer is gone.  4.8/5

Taste: Holy crap best sums it up. The hops are ridiculously powerful, and the taste is diverse yet satiating. As active on the taste buds as any IPA I’ve had. The fruit flavors bedazzle the roof of your mouth and base of your tongue initially, but after you swallow, be ready to welcome the lingering burn of alcohol mixed with caramel. 4.4/5

As a name like "Palate Wrecker" should indicate, this beer might be on flavor-steroids and is not for the faint of heart. It’s delicious and well-brewed, but it’s not extremely drinkable. If you have an opportunity to give this beer a try, definitely do so, but do so knowing that you’ll probably be most satisfied with the experience if you only have one or two.