Men’s track squad places third in Ames at Bill Bergen Invitational

The Iowa men’s track and field team finished in a tie for third among 10 squads in the Bill Bergan Invitational in Ames on Jan. 26.

The Hawkeyes only sent part of the team to the meet and finished 59 points behind first-place Minnesota and six points behind Wisconsin, the only other Big Ten teams at the event.

“We had a good meet, overall,” Iowa head coach Larry Wieczorek said. “We got better as a track team. Every weekend we realize how tough the Big Ten is, and we got a good dose of it this weekend.”

Senior Kyle Reid set the school record in the heptathlon on Jan. 25 with 5,257 points. He set personal best times in the 60-meter hurdles and the 1,000 meters on his way to a fourth-place finish.

Senior Jordan Mullen broke his own school record in the 60-meter hurdles the next day with a time of 7.74 to finish first in the race. Senior Ethan Holmes set a personal best in a second-place finish in the same event with a time of 7.83.

Holmes also set a personal best time in the 400-meters to place first with a time of 47.63. The time is ninth best at Iowa.

“Our mainstay guys, our veterans, really stepped up,” Wieczorek said. “They performed at a high level. These good performances are what we need going forward. Next weekend, we have another opportunity to show improvement.”

The Hawkeyes will travel to Notre Dame on Friday and Saturday to compete in the Meyo Invitational.