IC couple charged after alleged child endangerment

Two Iowa City residents were charged Sunday after police observed their children walking on broken glass at their home.

Angelica Fernandez-Martinez, 25, and Anacleto Lopez-Dejesus, 35, 2401 Highway 6 E. Apt. 105, were charged with three counts of child endangerment without injury.

According to a complaint by Iowa City police, the couple was at home with their three children Sunday when police received an emergency call from their 8-year-old son, who asked the 911 dispatcher for help.

When police arrived, Lopez-Dejesus answered the door, according to the complaint. Upon contact with officers, he exhibited signs of intoxication, including bloodshot eyes and poor balance. The complaint said he repeatedly asked officers if he could have another beer.

Lopez-Dejesus allegedly submitted to a breath test, with a result of 0.241. Fernandez-Martinez also submitted to a breath test, with a result of 0.245, the complaint said.

The living room was covered in broken shards of glass, and all three of Fernandez-Martinez’s children were walking barefoot on the glass, according to the complaint.

Allegedly, neither Lopez-Dejesus nor Fernandez-Martinez showed any responsibility for the health and safety of the three children.

— by Matt Starns