McNutt gets Big Ten honor for record-breaking game

Senior wide receiver Marvin McNutt was named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week on Monday, two days after breaking the all-time Iowa receiving-touchdown record in the Hawkeyes’ 45-24 win over Indiana on Oct. 22.

McNutt caught six passes in the game for 184 yards and three touchdowns. The first, which came with under a minute left in the first quarter, pushed the St. Louis native ahead of Tim Dwight and Danan Hughes on the Hawkeye list. McNutt was tied with the pair for a week with 21 scores; he now holds it outright, with 24 and counting.

Both McNutt’s yardage and touchdown totals were career-bests, and the 184 yards is the eighth-most in a single game in Iowa history. He is 313 yards away from surpassing Derrell Johnson-Koulianos as the Black and Gold’s career leader in yardage, and he averages more than 100 yards per game in his senior campaign.

The conference honor is the first of McNutt’s career and the second offensive award for the Hawkeyes this season. Quarterback James Vandenberg won the Player of the Week title after Iowa’s win over Pittsburgh on Sept. 17. Lineman Tom Nardo won the award on the defensive side of the ball after the Hawkeyes beat Louisiana-Monroe on Sept. 24.

— by Seth Roberts