iPod Playlist: Best Traditional Christmas Songs

What better way is there to await the joys of Christmas Day than with the Rat Pack? This playlist combines the romantic and the childlike aspects of Christmas from timeless artists, which lends to the Christmas theme of contrasting environs of hostile weather and crackling fires in the hearth.

• Doris Day and Bing Crosby, “Baby, It’s Cold Outside”

This flirtatious duet between two classic figures from the golden era of film and easy listening will bring romance among the frosted flakes falling from the sky.

• Bing Crosby, “White Christmas”

While walking through the crusted snows of campus, dream of a white Christmas on route to class or a leisurely stroll.

• Dean Martin, “Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer”

Reminisce over a childhood favorite with Dean Martin as he brings playful jazz to a classic tune.

• Frank Sinatra, “It’s Christmas Time”

Let in the warm dulcet tones of Ol’ Blue Eyes on a cold winter’s night of studying.

• Nat King Cole, “The Christmas Song”

This song builds a frosty atmosphere for those nights when Jack Frost whispers in your ear.

• Frank Sinatra, “I’ll Be Home for Christmas”

While slaving away and pulling hairs over final projects and studying, Sinatra can bring a warmhearted reminder that Christmas is not far away.

• Louis Armstrong, “Zat You Santa Claus?”

This bluesy, jazz beat and Armstrong’s throaty tones bring mystery to Jolly Old St. Nick.

• Dean Martin, “Let it Snow”

Martin’s timeless voice and charm polish this classic Christmas song into a perfect tune to trek across campus with.

• Nat King Cole, “O Holy Night”

This immortal Christmas Eve tune is perfect for sipping eggnog and gathering around the hearth with family.

• Bing Crosby, “Silent Night”

Crosby’s velvety, rich tones compliment the light, orchestral background, creating an ideal tune to listen to while in a cocoon of blankets shielding from the chilly night air while waiting for Christmas Day.

— by Hanna Rosman