DVD Vault: Dumb and Dumber

Dumb and Dumber, 1994

Dumb and Dumber — the godfather of all intuitive wisdom in this strange reality we call life. It has the answer to any question a person could ask, such as, “Where should I go for spring break this year?” “Somewhere where the beer flows like wine, where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano — a little place called Aspen.” Or, “What should I tell my touchy-feely doctor the next time he asks me if I’m sexually active?” “I got worms.”

Whatever the question, Dumb and Dumber has the answer.

It all starts with Mary Swanson, one of those pretty girls with a lot of money to buy shiny earrings at the mall. Our, dare I say, dumb protagonist, Lloyd Christmas — played by none other than Jim Carrey — falls for this millionaire mistress as he drives her to the airport on a brisk Providence morning. Then Swanson, in a moment of distraction, leaves one of her bags in the terminal, and Lloyd heroically swoops in and saves the luggage from the clutches of two cliché thugs. To Lloyd’s painful dismay, Mary’s plane has already taken off. In a desperate attempt to impress the leading lady, Lloyd, along with his best friend Harry, decide to trek cross-country in an effort to return the lost briefcase.

And so, the journey begins. I don’t know how many times I have seen this movie, but every time I do, I laugh louder than the time before. I can’t get past how the movie flows from joke to joke with almost perfect timing. The genius of this movie still baffles me — it is a simple premise, yes, and frankly has a basic plot line, but in the end, Dumb and Dumber is still one of the most hilarious films I have ever seen.

So whether you need a question answered or you are just looking to laugh until you get a hernia, Dumb and Dumber is exactly what you need.

— by Ben Evans