Judges rely on on-the-job training

They rely on on-the-job training. They ask advice from colleagues. They remember what they learned in law school and in private practice.

But the last round of budget cuts removed most opportunities for newly appointed judges to receive any formal training or instruction before taking the bench.

And even as they wait to hear the verdict on the next round of cuts expected this week, judges are already looking at how to fill the gap in that system.

Orientation opportunities for judges have always been limited, said 6th District Chief Judge Patrick Grady. Availability and timing of sessions were rarely ideal, but more options existed.

A spring training session for new judges hosted by the Iowa Judges Association in conjunction with the Iowa Supreme Court provided official instruction for judges who had been appointed in the previous year. Judges take the bench year round, often months before any official training is available.

But that session was canceled in 2009, erasing one of the only formal training opportunities available.

“Opportunities are becoming more limited, and they end up relying more on picking things up on the job and learning from colleagues,” Grady said.

When a judge is appointed in Iowa, he or she must take the bench within 30 days, and usually those 30 days are filled with shutting down whatever practice they had, rather than training.

Sixth District Judge Sean McPartland took the bench on Nov. 3, 2008 with no formal training.

He was able to attend a two-week general jurisdiction conference in Reno, Nev. — which was largely paid for through scholarships. But that conference was for continuing legal education and wasn’t geared toward new judges.

Instead, he relied on assistance from more experienced judges and other courthouse staff, like his court reporter.

And though he’d spent years in private practice, his expertise in civil litigation covered only a small part of the knowledge he needed to oversee a variety of cases.

“We cover the waterfront,” McPartland said. “We cover everything.”

Now, McPartland is working to put together an outline of procedure and advice for the 6th District’s next judge, who will take the bench Oct. 23. Though McPartland had outlines on specific matters, he didn’t have any general overview to reference.

“We’re working on doing more local mentoring — like using some senior judges or people who are retired by working part time — and having other judges be more available to give new judges some assistance,” Grady said. “Because we realize there is a gap in the system.”

And that’s what most new judges depend on now, McPartland said.

“I received an enormous amount of assistance from other judges,” he said. “It was helpful and invaluable to me.”

The training cancellation came among a $5.4 million budget cut announced this summer.

Judicial officials are expected to announce further cuts later this week in response to Gov. Chet Culver’s announcement that officials must cut 10 percent from the state’s budget.