Men’s tennis has some success in Arkansas

Iowa tennis player Robin Haden practices on the outdoor Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation courts on Wednesday, Sept. 2, 2015. Haden transferred from Mississippi. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

The Iowa men’s tennis team competed at the regionals this past weekend in Fayetteville, Arkansas, and had six players advance to the round of 64 on the individual side of the bracket.

On the first day of play, junior Robin Haden won a pair of matches to earn himself a berth in the round of 32.Sophomore Jake Jacoby defeated Alvaro Santamaria of Oral Roberts (6-3, 6-0) to qualify for the round of 64 but lost his second match of the day (7-6 [3], 6-4).

“I really liked the fire that Jake played with today,” head coach Ross Wilson said in a release. “He lost a tough match to a great player in the second round.”

Sophomore Lefteris Theodorou also won his first match of the day in straight sets (6-4, 6-3). In his second match, he fell to Santiago Munoz of Arkansas (6-1, 6-3).

It was the same story for senior Dom Patrick, who posted a 7-5, 6-2 first-round win but suffered a defeat in the round of 64 (7-6, 6-1).

The Hawkeyes also got good showings from two freshmen. Jonas Larsen and Tony Leto both earned opening-round wins to qualify for the round of 64, but both suffered losses in the second round.

On the second day, Haden dropped his match to Andrew Dzultnsky of Nebraska in straight sets (6-2, 6-2).

Iowa had three doubles teams take the court on the second day as well.

Junior Nils Hallestrand and Larsen received a first-round bye and followed it up with a win against Arkansas (8-7).

“Nils and Jonas played great today,” Wilson said. “They made returns and first serves on big points.”

Haden and Patrick took the court together for the Hawkeyes and earned a first round victory (8-1), over Missouri-KC. The duo was bounced in the round of 32 (8-7).

Theodorou and Jacoby could not get things going in their match, falling to Nebraska (8-6).

Larsen, Patrick, Jacoby, and Hallestrand posted victories in the singles bracket on the second day.

The third day kicked off with Hallestrand and Larsen competing in the quarterfinals of the doubles bracket. The Hawkeye duo lost to Oklahoma State (8-4).

All seven Hawkeyes had consolation singles matches on the third day as well.

Theodorou, Haden, Patrick, Jacoby, and Larsen all earned victories in their matches, with Leto and Hallestrand falling.