Diversity Fest to bid adieu

By Austin Petroski

This year will be the 25th and final Celebrating Cultural Diversity Festival at the University of Iowa. Many different university cultural organizations will celebrate their diversity together in a festival of differences.

This festival, organized by the UI Center for Diversity and Enrichment, allows members of the UI community to see the different types of cultures on campus. It will be held from noon-5 p.m. in Hubbard Park.

Associate Vice President Georgina Dodge, the UI chief diversity officer, said Iowa is an increasingly diverse state.

“Diversity on campus has been increasing steadily, as it has been in the state of Iowa,” Dodge said. “Festivals serve an important role in bringing people together across differences. We are focusing on educational programming that provides people with tools to have meaningful dialogue and take meaningful action about differences they experience.”

Dodge said the festival was ending after this year because of a decision by the Center for Diversity.

“It has run its course,” she said.

Kendra Malone, UI diversity resources coordinator, said it was important to remember those who had participated in the festival in the past.

“It is important for us to look at the legacy and to honor those who came before us in making this festival such a success,” Malone said.

According to the UI student profile on the Admissions Office website, 19 percent of the class of 2018 were minority students, excluding international students. International students composed 12 percent of the student population.

Many different events and vendors will make up in this year’s festival. Live music and performances, food vendors, and games will be available.

Holly Waite, the vendor coordinator for the festival, said there will be a variety of food available. Arabian, Chinese, French, and American are among the many different types of food that will be available at the festival, she said.

“Last year, I really liked being able to sample all the food; it was one of my favorite parts,” she said.

Volunteering is a large part of the festival, she said.

“Without volunteers participating, this would be difficult to provide,” Waite said.

She noted that collaboration is key for the festival running smoothly.

“Kind of like the fingers on a hand, we all play our part,” she said.