Hawkeyes take two of three against Jayhawks

The Iowa baseball team won two of three games over Kansas over the weekend, punctuating the series with a 6-2 win Sunday.

The Hawkeyes went to the bullpen early and often, using six pitchers in Sunday’s win in Lawrence, Kansas. Senior Calvin Matthews had the longest stretch, pitching for 4.2 innings while only allowing 3 hits.

“Calvin was really laboring today, and we wanted to keep him in there and get him the win, but it just wasn’t his day to finish,” Iowa head coach Rick Heller said in a release. “He’s a warrior, and he’ll find a way to get it done even when he doesn’t feel good.”

Matthews wound up with a no-decision after a Jayhawk run in the seventh.

The win went to senior Brandon Shulista, who improved to 1-1. Freshman Nick Allgeyer tallied his first save of the year.

Kansas stranded 17 runners during the game, and the Hawkeyes hit three home runs.

Senior Kris Goodman had the first in the second inning. Iowa added 3 runs in the fifth inning. Senior Eric Toole, who was 4-for-4 on the day, started the scoring in the fifth with an RBI double and later scored on senior Jake Mangler’s single.

Mangler scored on a single from senior Dan Potempa, and junior Tyler Peyton added the final run of the inning.

Iowa took a 5-0 lead in the sixth inning after senior Nick Day’s solo home run, the first of his career.

Junior Joel Booker added a final home run for the Hawkeyes in the ninth to give the Hawkeyes a 6-1 lead.

Kansas left the bases loaded in both the seventh and ninth innings. Shulista popped up the Jayhawk hitter in the seventh to end the threat, and Allgeyer ended the threat in the ninth.

Follow @IanFromIowa on Twitter for news, updates, and analysis about the Iowa baseball team.