Valentine’s Day in Iowa City

Local businesses in Iowa City prepare for Valentine’s Day this evening with intimate dinners, trivia, and bouquets of roses.

Megan Conroy

A bouquet of roses is seen at Beno’s Flowers and Gifts on February 12, 2019.

Alexandra Skores, News Reporter

Despite the freezing temperatures and metric tons of snow following the polar blasts of late January, Iowa City residents are determined to celebrate Valentine’s Day this year.

Local businesses are preparing for dozens of roses and chocolates, intimate music, and dinners with loved ones.

Beno’s Flowers, a new store on Iowa Avenue, is one of the businesses. Beno’s opened its doors in mid-November and shop owner Benito Ocampo said the staff members are excited about the first Valentine’s Day.

RELATED: Point/Counterpoint: Valentine’s Day: to celebrate or not to celebrate

“I opened a gift shop in Mexico before I came to the United States” Ocampo said. “Around eight years ago, I moved to Iowa City with my partner, and everyone from the community has been extremely kind since then.”

Ocampo said he expects that the red roses will sell out and is thrilled to learn more about the city around him. The shop has drawn in a large range of students from different countries and backgrounds, he said.

“Since I was a kid, I always loved flowers,” said Ocampo. “I wanted to learn more and design more. At our shop, you can create your own bouquet for Valentine’s Day, and there are some discounts within how much you purchase.”

The VUE Rooftop Restaurant, located on the top floor of the Hilton Garden Inn, is booked for the evening, said the restaurant’s director of special events, Mikaela Lighty.

“We are full on Valentine’s Day, which means we will be busy attending to our guests,” Lighty said. “Dinner will be a three-course meal on our Valentine’s Day menu with options for with or without a wine pairing.”

After hosting a “Galentine’s Day” event inspired by “Parks and Recreation” character Leslie Knope on Wednesday evening, Big Grove decided to take a unique spin on the Valentine’s Day holiday, said Rachel Wobeter, the brewery’s event director.

“Here at Big Grove, we realized that super intimate fine dining doesn’t work here,” she said. “We’re doing an anti-Valentine’s Day trivia night instead.”

Appealing to the singles crowd, trivia night will consist of current events, TV shows, movies, and an audio round of listening to songs, Wobeter said.

“If you’re single or taken, or somewhere in between, you’re guaranteed a good time here,” she said.

She encourages people to come out to the Valentine’s Day event early, as last year brought in a crowd of around 500, and the establishment anticipates more this year.

While Iowa City businesses have plans, UI students Amber Meyer and Rory Van Gorp have their own traditions to the day.

The two have been together for four and a half years and make an effort to celebrate Valentine’s Day every year, Meyer said.

“We’ll be going out to eat tonight, then staying in, watching movies and drinking hot chocolate,” Meyer said. “Later in the evening, we’ll also exchange letters to each other about how much we love each other.”