Opinion | Iowa does not need to be a second amendment sanctuary

Efforts to pass so-called “second amendment sanctuary” laws in Iowa distract from the real issues.

Sophia Meador, Opinions Columnist

Recent efforts by the Iowa Legislature demonstrate how engrossed some legislators are in gun rights.

A bill following the national trend of “second amendment sanctuaries” aims to prohibit federal gun control in Iowa.  But all this measure will do is distract Iowans from real issues related to gun violence.

Senate File 2002, introduced by Sen. Zac Nunn, R-Bondurant, would prohibit state and local law enforcement from enforcing federal laws, regulations, and executive orders that infringe on “the right to keep and bear arms.”

Nunn told the Des Moines Register: “We’re concerned that there could be a move at the federal level, through a department or agency, that could really place some restrictions on a gun owner’s rights and have no one in the legislative body — either the federal level or the state level — making their voice heard.”

The movement for second amendment sanctuaries spread in 2018 following multiple high profile mass shootings, which advocates then called for more rigorous gun control laws. Across the country, more than a thousand local governments have declared themselves second amendment sanctuaries, meaning they have no intent of following federal gun control measures. However, many critics agree second amendment sanctuaries will not hold up in court.

Last July, Jasper Country became the first in Iowa to become a second amendment sanctuary, soon followed by Hardin County. Since the summer, 33 counties across Iowa have adopted such measures.

Bill Richards, a lobbyist for the Iowan Firearms Coalition, told the Des Moines Register: “We do think it’s a very important issue that the state make these statements — somewhat symbolic but also something to fall back on if they’re pressed.”

However, the movement for second amendment sanctuaries fails to meet the moment because gun rights are not under fire in the U.S.

President Joe Biden’s campaign included a widely praised gun control agenda, with programming measures such as banning assault weapons. However, little has been done to regulate access to firearms. Unless Democrats sweep the Senate and the House in 2022, there is little hope that Biden can pass gun-control legislation through Congress.

Americans have more guns than any other country, and in Iowa 43.6 percent of adults have guns in their home. With the prevalence of gun culture in America, it is unlikely any significant gun-control legislation will be passed in the near future.

Whether or not this bill is passed in Iowa, nothing will change. This “symbolic bill” is just a distraction from real issues.

Second amendment sanctuaries are merely a statement to show support for gun ownership. We do not need to concern ourselves with unnecessary measures.

Iowa legislators like Nunn should be concerned with legislation that can better protect Iowans, like gun-safety education, recognizing gun violence as a preventable public health problem, negotiating sensible gun laws, and promoting a culture of gun safety.

As the 2022 midterm election approaches, we must consider what our legislators have done for us. Iowans deserve lawmakers that are committed to progress, not meaningless publicity stunts.

While a number of issues related to the accessibility of firearms, establishing second amendment sanctuaries and other dramatized actions are an unnecessary effort to distract us from real issues related to gun control.

Photo of Sophia Meador
Sophia Meador, Opinions Editor

(she/her/hers)
Sophia Meador is the Opinions Editor at The Daily Iowan. Previously, she worked as an opinions columnist, page designer, and currently...

• iStock

Columns

Opinion | E-bike and E-scooter commuting need more safety oversight

• The inside of the gold dome is seen during the first day of the 2024 Iowa legislative session at the Iowa State Capitol in Des Moines on Monday, Jan. 8, 2024. The Republicans have 34 seats in the senate and the Democrats have 16 seats.

Columns

Opinion | The anti-abortion rights video “Meet Baby Olivia” is an inaccurate form of educating young kids

• Iowa guard Caitlin Clark walks onto the court during a NCAA Championship game between No. 1 Iowa and No. 1 South Carolina at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse in Cleveland, Ohio, on Sunday, April 7, 2024. (Ayrton Breckenridge/The Daily Iowan)

Columns

Opinion | 50 years after Title IX Black women athletes are still being policed by the public

• Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds talks with supporters after the 2023 Thanksgiving Family Forum hosted by The FAMiLY Leader, an organization dedicated to advancing the role of religious values in government, at the Marriott hotel in downtown Des Moines on Friday, Nov. 17, 2023. Ramaswamy sat with his son, who ran onto the stage earlier in the event. The event began at 3:30 p.m. with a round table discussion, and was followed by meet-and-greet events with each of the candidates, which included Vivek Ramaswamy, Ron DeSantis, and Nikki Haley.

Columns

Opinion | Reynolds chooses quality over quantity

• Opinion | DEI is a vital part of medical education

Columns

Opinion | DEI is a vital part of medical education

• The Iowa State Capitol is seen in Des Moines on Wednesday, Jan. 10, 2024.

Columns

Opinion | History education must be protected from Iowa Republicans

Columns

Opinion | Iowa’s new immigration law is a cause for concern

• Opinion | How college changed my relationship with food

Columns

Opinion | How college changed my relationship with food

• Mother holding her baby indoors

Columns

Opinion | Iowa should follow other states in mandating paid maternity leave

• Chick-fil-a along College Road Jan. 24, 2024 in WIlmington, N.C. Its located in Monkey Junction, which got its name after a former service station and grocery store popular for having monkeys that entertained customers. KEN BLEVINS/STARNEWS

Raising Canes Chicken Fingers opens in Burlington Township on Jan. 17.

Columns

Point/Counterpoint | Battling for the best chicken in Iowa City