Opinion | Iowa does not need to be a second amendment sanctuary

Efforts to pass so-called “second amendment sanctuary” laws in Iowa distract from the real issues.

Sophia Meador, Opinions Columnist

Recent efforts by the Iowa Legislature demonstrate how engrossed some legislators are in gun rights.

A bill following the national trend of “second amendment sanctuaries” aims to prohibit federal gun control in Iowa.  But all this measure will do is distract Iowans from real issues related to gun violence.

Senate File 2002, introduced by Sen. Zac Nunn, R-Bondurant, would prohibit state and local law enforcement from enforcing federal laws, regulations, and executive orders that infringe on “the right to keep and bear arms.”

Nunn told the Des Moines Register: “We’re concerned that there could be a move at the federal level, through a department or agency, that could really place some restrictions on a gun owner’s rights and have no one in the legislative body — either the federal level or the state level — making their voice heard.”

The movement for second amendment sanctuaries spread in 2018 following multiple high profile mass shootings, which advocates then called for more rigorous gun control laws. Across the country, more than a thousand local governments have declared themselves second amendment sanctuaries, meaning they have no intent of following federal gun control measures. However, many critics agree second amendment sanctuaries will not hold up in court.

Last July, Jasper Country became the first in Iowa to become a second amendment sanctuary, soon followed by Hardin County. Since the summer, 33 counties across Iowa have adopted such measures.

Bill Richards, a lobbyist for the Iowan Firearms Coalition, told the Des Moines Register: “We do think it’s a very important issue that the state make these statements — somewhat symbolic but also something to fall back on if they’re pressed.”

However, the movement for second amendment sanctuaries fails to meet the moment because gun rights are not under fire in the U.S.

President Joe Biden’s campaign included a widely praised gun control agenda, with programming measures such as banning assault weapons. However, little has been done to regulate access to firearms. Unless Democrats sweep the Senate and the House in 2022, there is little hope that Biden can pass gun-control legislation through Congress.

Americans have more guns than any other country, and in Iowa 43.6 percent of adults have guns in their home. With the prevalence of gun culture in America, it is unlikely any significant gun-control legislation will be passed in the near future.

Whether or not this bill is passed in Iowa, nothing will change. This “symbolic bill” is just a distraction from real issues.

Second amendment sanctuaries are merely a statement to show support for gun ownership. We do not need to concern ourselves with unnecessary measures.

Iowa legislators like Nunn should be concerned with legislation that can better protect Iowans, like gun-safety education, recognizing gun violence as a preventable public health problem, negotiating sensible gun laws, and promoting a culture of gun safety.

As the 2022 midterm election approaches, we must consider what our legislators have done for us. Iowans deserve lawmakers that are committed to progress, not meaningless publicity stunts.

While a number of issues related to the accessibility of firearms, establishing second amendment sanctuaries and other dramatized actions are an unnecessary effort to distract us from real issues related to gun control.

Photo of Sophia Meador
Sophia Meador, Opinions Editor

(she/her/hers)
Sophia Meador is the Opinions Editor at The Daily Iowan. Previously, she worked as an opinions columnist, page designer, and currently...

• The Iowa State Capitol is seen in Des Moines on Wednesday, Jan. 10, 2024.

Columns

Opinion | History education must be protected from Iowa Republicans

• Opinion | How college changed my relationship with food

Columns

Opinion | How college changed my relationship with food

• Mother holding her baby indoors

Columns

Opinion | Iowa should follow other states in mandating paid maternity leave

• Chick-fil-a along College Road Jan. 24, 2024 in WIlmington, N.C. Its located in Monkey Junction, which got its name after a former service station and grocery store popular for having monkeys that entertained customers. KEN BLEVINS/STARNEWS

Raising Canes Chicken Fingers opens in Burlington Township on Jan. 17.

Columns

Point/Counterpoint | Battling for the best chicken in Iowa City

• Opinion | Iowa’s over-the-counter contraceptive bill is dampened by conservative amendments

Columns

Opinion | Iowa’s over-the-counter contraceptive bill is dampened by conservative amendments

• Gov. Kim Reynolds speaks during the 4th District tailgate Presidential Rally in Nevada, Iowa on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2023. The tailgate featured speeches from Republican Presidential candidates and U.S. Representatives among others.

Columns

Opinion | Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds prioritizes Texas, not Iowa

• Opinion | The responsibility to care for older adults should lie in communal hands

Columns

Opinion | The responsibility to care for older adults should lie in communal hands

• Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds talks with supporters after the 2023 Thanksgiving Family Forum hosted by The FAMiLY Leader, an organization dedicated to advancing the role of religious values in government, at the Marriott hotel in downtown Des Moines on Friday, Nov. 17, 2023. Ramaswamy sat with his son, who ran onto the stage earlier in the event. The event began at 3:30 p.m. with a round table discussion, and was followed by meet-and-greet events with each of the candidates, which included Vivek Ramaswamy, Ron DeSantis, and Nikki Haley.

Columns

Opinion | Reynolds’ changes to AEA law has benefits, but it didn’t start that way

Columns

Opinion | Medicare, Social Security, and reproductive freedom are threatened by the RSC in their new budget proposal

• Opinion | Iowans can’t let the state fund the killing of raccoons

Columns

Opinion | Iowans can’t let the state fund the killing of raccoons