Iowa downs Nebraska for fifth-straight season

A Keith Duncan game-winner was all the Hawkeyes needed to end the Huskers’ chances at a bowl game.

Katina Zentz

Iowa running back Tyler Goodson scores a touchdown during the football game against Nebraska at Memorial Stadium on Friday, November 29, 2019.

Pete Ruden, Pregame Editor

What should have been an easy stroll to victory over Nebraska on Nov. 29 in Lincoln turned into something much more difficult for Iowa.

After sprinting out to a 24-10 lead at halftime, the Hawkeyes let the Huskers crawl back into it before Keith Duncan continued his stellar season with a 48-yard game-winning field goal for a 27-24, last-second win.

After Iowa got a late stop following a Mekhi Sargent fumble, Nate Stanley led a drive with just over 30 seconds left to get Duncan into range.

It became close when Nebraska picked it up in the third quarter.

On his first play of action, backup quarterback Luke McCaffrey tossed a 39-yard touchdown to receiver JD Spielman to pull the Huskers within 7, and Wyatt Mazour scored from 9 yards out to even the score at 24.

Big plays helped Iowa get out to a quick lead in the first half. Ihmir Smith-Marsette took a reverse 45 yards for a touchdown on the Hawkeyes’ second drive, then Tyler Goodson scored on a 55-yard scamper later in the first quarter.

Goodson finished with 116 yards — the first 100-yard game of his career — and a touchdown.

After Smith-Marsette took a kick return the distance in the first half, it seemed as if the Hawkeyes had all the momentum heading into the break.

The Hawkeye defense remained strong for the majority of the game, but it appeared as if fatigue started to set in toward the end.

Still, Iowa defensive end A.J. Epenesa looked unfazed. The junior from Glen Carbon, Illinois, racked up a career-high 14 tackles, including 2 sacks and 4.5 tackles for loss.

After finishing the regular season with a 9-3 record, the Hawkeyes will await their bowl destination where they aim to finish with 10 wins.