Iowa fires volleyball head coach Shymansky

After getting placed on administrative leave, Iowa volleyball head coach Bond Shymansky has been fired.

David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan

Iowa Volleyball head coach Bond Shymansky watches his team during the Iowa/Nebraska volleyball match on Saturday, Oct. 7, 2017. Nebraska defeated Iowa 3-0. (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Iowa volleyball head coach Bond Shymansky has been fired, Iowa Athletics Director Gary Barta announced June 19.

Shymansky’s termination comes after he was placed on administrative leave when a former student-athlete came forward with allegations that the coach had violated NCAA rules.

The firing is a determination by the university following an investigation by an outside law firm.

The violation includes Shymansky intentionally providing an impermissible benefit to a prospective student-athlete who is no longer with the program.

“We take NCAA violations very seriously and have acted in a fair and decisive manner,” Barta said in a release. “We will continue to work with the NCAA in regard to our self-report to reach a conclusion in this matter as swiftly as possible.”

Substantial impermissible benefits fall into a Level 1 or Level 2 NCAA violation, while a minimal impermissible benefit would be a low Level 2 or Level 3 offense. At a May 20 press conference, Barta speculated the violation would fall in the Level 1 or Level 2 range.

Shymansky’s violation marks the first of this level to take place during Barta’s time as athletics director.

“You’ve all heard us talk about ‘Win, Graduate, Do It Right’ — something we take seriously and something that’s very important to me and to us collectively,” Barta said in a press conference on May 20. “Clearly, in this case, we have an employee who came up short on the ‘Do It Right’ part.

“I won’t talk specifically what it was, but I’m comfortable enough to say that everybody who works in college athletics is very familiar with where this line is that can’t be crossed.”

Vicki Brown, who was named the interim head coach when Shymansky was placed on administrative leave, will continue to serve in the role through the 2019-20 season.

Shymansky posted a 78-83 in five seasons with the Hawkeyes. Before arriving in Iowa City, Shymansky coached at Marquette for five years, earning Big East Coach of the Year honors twice.

The NCAA will release its findings when it concludes its investigation, but no time frame has been given.