Florida State hands Iowa first loss of season

Women’s basketball suffered its first loss of the season in the Junkanoo Jam championship game against Florida State. It is the second year in a row the Seminoles have defeated Iowa.

David Harmantas

Iowa forward Megan Gustafson #10 fights for an offensive rebound during a women’s basketball game against Oral Roberts University on Friday, Nov. 9, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Golden Eagles 90-77. (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

Pete Mills, Sports Reporter

Despite a late-game effort from senior Tania Davis, Iowa women’s basketball suffered its first loss of the season to Florida State on Saturday night.

It came in the championship game of the Junkanoo Jam in the Bahamas, and is the second year in a row the Seminoles have handed the Hawkeyes an early-season loss.

Iowa trailed for the majority of the game but was able to keep it close. Davis added a three-pointer followed by a free throw in the last seconds, but Florida State inched out a win at a score of 71-67.

Davis led the team with 22 points on the night, shooting 3 for 7 from three-point range. Megan Gustafson shot 8 for 8 on field goals on the night, tallying 16 points for the Hawkeyes. This was Gustafson’s second perfect shooting performance already this season.

Iowa will take on the reigning national champions Notre Dame on Thursday night in South Bend.