Halftime reactions – Iowa vs. Nebraska

Iowa leads Nebraska, 21-13, through two quarters. Pregame Editor Adam Hensley and Assistant Sports Editor Anna Kayser have their halftime reactions.

Nick Rohlman

Iowa running back Mekhi Sargent carries the ball during Iowa’s game against Nebraska at Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City on Friday, Nov. 23, 2018.

Iowa’s defense got better as the half went on.

After giving up points on Nebraska’s first two drives, Iowa’s defense came up big on its third outing of the game.

Back-to-back sacks by A.J. Epenesa and Anthony Nelson silenced any Husker bid for points, stalling the drive and forcing a punt.

On Nebraska’s final drive, however, the Hawkeye defense allowed a 22-yard pass on the first play, setting up the Huskers with a realistic shot for points with less than a minute remaining. Nebraska scored on a field goal (after it initial miss was negated due to Riley Moss being offside).

Husker quarterback Adrian Martinez has been sharp all game. He’s 14-of-19 for 148 and a touchdown, and he hasn’t thrown any head-scratching passes. He’s also made plays with his feet, twice dancing out of would-be sacks. He’s got 16 yards on 5 rushing attempts through two quarters.

Adam Hensley

Hawkeye offense going to work on Nebraska’s defense

After recording only 64 yards against Northwestern, Iowa’s run game found its groove last week against Illinois. It hasn’t lost it yet.

Through the first quarter, Toren Young and Mehki Sargent combined for 73 total yards on only 12 carries – that’s an average of almost 6.1 yards per carry.

That’s a good stat.

Last week against Illinois, Sargent achieved the 100-yard feat that running backs have been chasing all season. If the run game continues its production through the second half, that goal will easily be reached twice.

Through the half, Sargent recorded 75 yards with Young following with 58, and each have one touchdown to show for it.

The run game is so strong, Nate Stanley wanted to get in on the action. He took the ball himself for 10-yards for a sliding first down.

The success is a testament to both the running backs and the offensive line blocking. As of right now, there’s nothing that can stop Iowa’s bread and butter.

Anna Kayser

Twitter reactions