Iowa City parent faces criminal charges after bringing gun to Grant Wood Elementary School

After entering the building and threatening staff members, Jones proceeded to pass the gun off to another individual.
The+Iowa+City+Community+School+District+sign+in+Iowa+City+is+seen+on+Tuesday%2C+Sept.+13%2C+2022.+
Grace Kreber
The Iowa City Community School District sign in Iowa City is seen on Tuesday, Sept. 13, 2022.

Brandon Jones, a parent of a student at Grant Wood Elementary School, located at 1930 Lakeside Drive, threatened school staff with a gun Wednesday morning. The school was immediately placed in HOLD mode, and the parent is now in custody. 

According to an email obtained by The Daily Iowan from Superintendent of Iowa City Community School District Matt Degner, the gun was brought onto school grounds by Jones, who was threatening staff members inside the building.

Jones had a handgun in his holster attached to his hip and proceeded to hand the gun to another individual. The individual then proceeded to take the gun and leave the building.

According to the email, all classroom doors were closed and locked in HOLD mode, and there was no active movement in the hallways or any other part of the school. Per procedure, all exterior doors were also locked.

According to a press release from the Iowa City Police Department, police were called to the scene and responded immediately, and Jones was arrested.

Jones is facing three charges: carrying weapons on school grounds, first-degree harassment in the first count, and first-degree harassment in the second count.

All students and staff are reported to be safe, and the department stated in the email that there is no further threat to the school.

Classes resumed as normal and counselors will remain on campus to assist any student or staff member who wishes to speak with someone regarding the incident. 

Those who require further assistance are encouraged to contact the 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline if necessary.

“We are thankful for the quick response of our Grant Wood staff members and of the Iowa City Police Department,” Degner wrote in the email.

The school is working with law enforcement to conduct an investigation and officers are currently on campus conducting interviews and receiving all necessary details for the case.