UI international student enrollment bounces back, regent universities see overall student increase

Presented to the Iowa Board of Regents on Thursday, the report shows a slight decrease in enrollment in specific areas such as new first-year students.
Cody Blissett/The Daily Iowan
The Old Capitol Building is seen in Iowa City on Tuesday April, 25, 2023.

Student enrollment slightly increased at the University of Iowa and all regent-governed universities and international enrollment is on the rise, according to the fall enrollment report

The UI, according to the report, saw a decrease of 2.3 percent in new first-year undergraduates and a decrease of 1.6 percent in graduate and professional student enrollment. 

The class of 2027, however, is the fourth-largest in university history. 

All three regent universities saw a slight increase in international students from the fall of 2022 to the fall of 2023. The UI’s international student population was recorded at 1,504 this fall after seeing 1,458 last fall. 

According to the institutional highlights of the UI, the university’s fall enrollment is 30,042 students, of which 22,130 are undergraduates. 

Additionally, compared to the fall of 2022, the UI saw 5,064 first-year undergraduate students enrolled with a decrease of 114 students.

According to the report, the number of total students enrolled increased by 0.4 percent, or 302 students from the fall of 2022 to the fall of 2023.

RELATED: UI sees slight increase in total student enrollment this fall

This increase can be attributed to a greater number of high school graduates as compared to the fall of 2020 and 2021, where the number of students enrolling in university decreased by 9.6 percent, largely due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

This number accounted for a significant increase in out-of-state students and transfer students.