Iowa freshman distance runner Cameron Kalaway talks first season, running spots, and studies

Kalaway spoke with The Daily Iowan sports reporter Mia Boulton at practice on Oct. 24.
Theodore Retsinas
Iowa’s Cameron Kalaway compete in the Hawkeye Invitational at Ashton Cross-Country Course in Iowa City on Friday Sept. 1, 2023.

The Daily Iowan: Who have you learned the most from during your first season as a Hawkeye?

Cameron Kalaway: Probably [assistant distance coach Shayla Houlihan]. She has a ton of experience from a bunch of different places and athletes that she’s coached. Her pre-race advice is always very specific and helpful.

What is your favorite Iowa cross country memory so far?

On the days before races, we have time to walk around and spend our money on dinner or whatever we find in the town. It’s really fun to hang out with my teammates and distract myself from thinking about the race.

What’s your favorite place you’ve traveled to so far this season?

Notre Dame. The town was cute. The course was pretty. The school is just pretty in general.

If you could run anywhere next season, where would you choose to schedule a meet?

If I could race anywhere, I would probably choose the course in Terre Haute, Indiana. I had a ton of fun races there in high school because we raced Nike Cross Regionals there every year. It’s a fun course and just has good vibes. Not a lot of the girls on the team have been there, so it would be cool to be on a new course as a team and continue the tradition of racing there — but in an Iowa jersey.

What’s been the biggest change coming to Iowa?

The biggest change has probably just been managing my time. With practices — sometimes multiple a day — and trying to balance schoolwork with traveling, it’s been a little bit of a learning curve. I’m starting to get the hang of it, and my teammates and coaches have been super helpful through it all.

What’s your major?

I’m pre-business right now. I’m in the Tippie [College of Business] right now, so I am just feeling it out.

Did you always know what you wanted to study?

I bounced around between a lot of different things. In high school, my business teacher was also my track coach, so I was super close with him. He gave me some good advice, and I always enjoyed his class, so that’s partly why I am majoring in business now.

Where do you see yourself after graduation?

Well, if I could live anywhere, I would go to Colorado. It’s super pretty there with fun stuff in the summer and the winter. There are also pretty places to run. I just feel like there’s a lot to do and amazing scenery.