Iowa women’s tennis’ Daianne Hayashida falls in round of 64 at ITA All-American Championships

Second-year Daianne Hayashida was bested in straight sets.
Iowa%E2%80%99s+Daianne+Hayashida+prepares+to+hit+the+ball+during+a+tennis+meet+at+the+Hawkeye+Tennis+%26+Recreational+Complex+in+Iowa+City+on+Sunday%2C+April+16%2C+2023.+Hayashida+won+her+singles+competition.+The+Hawkeye%E2%80%99s+won%2C+4-3.+
Cody Blissett
Iowa’s Daianne Hayashida prepares to hit the ball during a tennis meet at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreational Complex in Iowa City on Sunday, April 16, 2023. Hayashida won her singles competition. The Hawkeye’s won, 4-3.

Iowa women’s tennis second-year Daianne Hayashida had an exciting journey at the 2023 ITA Women’s All-American Championships in Cary, North Carolina, among the nation’s top NCAA Division I tennis athletes — but fell short in the round of 64.

On the opening day of the tournament on Saturday morning, Hayashida squared off against Clemson’s Cristina Mayorova in the round of 128. She secured a strong start with a straight-set win of 6-4, 6-3.

This win advanced her to the round of 64, where she was poised to take on the winner of the match between Arizona State’s Giulia Morlet and Austin Peay’s Jana Leder.

“I’m happy for Dai,” Iowa head coach Sasha Schmid told Hawkeye Sports. “It was a hard-fought singles match win against a quality opponent.

“She competed well, and I know she’s excited to be advancing and has another great opportunity to have a competitive match tomorrow and keep moving forward in the draw,” Schmid added.

And with Leder’s triumph, the two hit the court on Sunday morning with a chance to advance to the round of 32, this time Hayashida falling in straight sets; 6-4, 6-4.

Schmid found Hayashida’s representation of the Black and Gold at the event to be a big achievement.

“I’m really excited that Dai[anne] has this opportunity to go out to [the ITA Championships] and compete against some of the most elite players in college tennis,” she told Hawkeye Sports. “I think it’s an opportunity that is well-deserved.”

Hayashida’s presence on behalf of the Iowa tennis team at the ITA All-American Championships this season marks the program’s second appearance in the event’s main draw within a three-year span.

In 2021, the Hawkeyes were represented by Alexa Noel — who now plays for the Miami Hurricanes — and Samantha Mannix, for whom Noel’s impressive run led her to the singles finals.

Up next

Looking ahead, the Hawkeyes look to continue their fall competition at the ITA Central Regionals in Lawrence, Kansas, scheduled from Oct. 12-16.