Caitlin Clark, Spencer Lee to headline as grand marshals of UI Homecoming parade

The Iowa’s women’s basketball and senior guard former NCAA champion Hawkeye stars will lead the parade on Oct. 6.
No. 1 seeded 125-pound Iowa’s Spencer Lee looks to the crowd after wrestling No. 16 seeded 125-pound Michigan’s Jack Medley during session two of the NCAA Wrestling Championships at BOK Center in Tulsa, Okla., on Thursday, March 16, 2023. Lee defeated Medley by technical fall, 17-0. (Ayrton Breckenridge/The Daily Iowan) Iowa guard Caitlin Clark shoots a three-point shot during a 2023 NCAA Elite Eight women’s basketball game between No.2 Iowa and No.5 Louisville at Climate Pledge Arena in Seattle, WA on Sunday, March 26, 2023. The Hawkeyes defeated the Cardinals, 97-83. Clark recorded 41 points, 10 rebounds, and 12 assists. (Daniel McGregor-Huyer/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa’s women’s basketball senior guard Caitlin Clark and former wrestler Spencer Lee will lead  the 2023 University of Iowa Homecoming parade next month as its grand marshals. 

The parade will begin at 5:45 p.m. on Oct. 6 around downtown Iowa City and will include 20,000 UI students, staff, and members of both Iowa City and local communities. 

But all eyes will be on the 2023 AP Player of the Year and the three-time Division I NCAA Champion right beside her.

Clark and the Iowa women’s basketball team are just weeks away from the beginning of their 2023 campaign to avenge their loss to the LSU Tigers in the NCAA Championship last season.

RELATED: Iowa women’s basketball guard Caitlin Clark reacts to Nebraska women’s sports attendance record

As for Lee, the 125-pounder remains in Iowa City as he trains with the Hawkeye Wrestling Club for international competition and a shot at qualifying for the 2024 Summer Olympics.

Iowa women’s wrestling coach Clarissa Chun, a gold medalist wrestler in the 2008 Beijing Olympics, was the grand marshal of last year’s parade. In 2021, former Hawkeye wide receiver Quinn Early was the grand marshal, and the health care workers of the UI Hospitals and Clinics were grand marshals in 2020.  

The Iowa football team will host the Purdue Boilermakers in Kinnick Stadium the following day.