5 Common Swimming Pool Injuries and Who May Be Liable

Enjoying a swimming pool is just the perfect activity during a hot day. You get to swim and feel free while being able to cool off after being exposed to the sun. When the pool is clear and cozy, you don’t want to leave it. This applies whether you have your own pool in your backyard or go to a public pool. 

Now, swimming pools are not always the safest. In fact, some people get injured and even die every year while swimming in a pool. On average, about 379 people die every year in a swimming pool according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. 

What are the types of swimming pool injuries that can occur? Moreover, who may be liable if someone is injured at the pool? Here’s all you need to know. 

The 5 Common Swimming Pool Injuries

There are many injuries that could occur when you’re swimming in a pool. However, the most common ones can be boiled down to 5:

• Slips and Falls

Slipping and falling at the pool is not unusual. After all, the pool surface gets slippery due to water, so the areas surrounding the pool can be very wet. You may be someone who likes to be careful and use towels to dry off, but that doesn’t mean accidents still cannot happen. 

Therefore, one small mistake or a moment where you do not pay attention will be enough to end up slipping and falling.

• Head Injuries

While in a pool, you may end up with head injuries. This could happen when your hair gets entangled or entrapped due to suction force. So, it could result in head injuries and sometimes even drowning. 

• Electrocution

Believe it or not, electrocution is possible when you are swimming in a pool. It’s something that could happen when a malfunctioning electrical system lets electrical charge into the water. Anyone who is unfortunate enough to be in a swimming pool at that moment can get electrocuted. 

• Pool Toy and Float Entrapments

Some people, especially children, use pool toys and floats. This lets them engage with others in the pool while making sure they can take a break from the water. These seemingly harmless items can quickly trap someone underneath, though, particularly children and bad swimmers. 

As a result, some people may get injured or even drown. 

• Drowning

Drowning is one of the worst things that could happen to someone who is enjoying some time in a swimming pool. It is considered drowning when an individual drowns within 24 hours. When the person doesn’t drown within 24 hours but survives, it is called near-drowning. 

Who May Be Liable for the Incident?

Who is liable for the swimming pool accident is different in each case. 

For instance, if you knew you were a bad swimmer yet still decided to engage in this dangerous activity, then you may be at fault for the accident. If you were in a commercial area, though, then the situation may change depending on the injury and the cause. 

Electrocution, for instance, happens due to malfunctioning electrical systems. This means that the owner was negligent when it came to maintaining the pool, in which case he or she can be held liable. Similarly, in a drain entrapment situation, where a drain was not properly covered, it could also be due to the pool owner’s negligence. 

When you have reasons to believe that the property owner’s negligence was the reason you got injured, you can always sue him or her for the injuries.

Can a Lawyer Help You in Swimming Pool Injury Cases?

If you want to sue a property owner for swimming pool injuries, you will have to request an experienced attorney’s help to make sure things go smoothly. A lawyer will make sure you get justice. 

You will have to make sure you file your claim on time, though. Each state has its own statute of limitations when it comes to personal injury, and you don’t want to lose your chance to make the guilty individual pay. 

In Virginia, for instance, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases is two years after the incident. Therefore, make sure to hire your Virginia Beach personal injury lawyer who will help you file your claim before the deadline. 

Final Thoughts

There are many injuries that could occur at the swimming pool, and it’s best to know who can be held liable in case you are not responsible for the damage. Hiring an attorney may help you a lot in this situation.