Iowa Heartlanders win two in three-game road trip

The Iowa Heartlanders traveled to Ohio and West Virginia this weekend for three games.

Madelyn Hellwig

Heartlander forward Kris Bennett knocks down Thunder forward Billy Exell to gain possession of the puck during a hockey game between the Heartlanders and the Wichita Thunder at Xtream Arena in Coralville, Iowa, on Dec. 1, 2021. The Heartlanders lost 3-2 to the Thunder in a shootout.

Jake Olson, Sports Reporter

The Iowa Heartlanders went 2-1 on a three-game road trip against the Cincinnati Cyclones, Toledo Walleye, and Wheeling Nailers this weekend.

Iowa lost its first game in Cincinnati, 6-3, on Wednesday night.

The Heartlanders then pulled off back-to-back wins against the Walleye and the Nailers — teams that sit ahead of the Iowa in the ECHL standings.

Iowa won a 6-5 overtime game against Toledo on Friday night. Heartlanders captain Kris Bennett recorded an assist and two goals, including the game-winner deep into overtime. 

The Heartlanders picked up another victory on Saturday against the Nailers, 4-1, with a three-goal second period. Iowa goaltender Hunter Jones blocked 33 of 34 shots sent his way.

Big Picture

The Heartlanders have relied on powerful offense for their two victories, scoring a combined nine goals.

The Heartlanders are no longer in last place in the ECHL Central Division. Iowa, at 17-21-5-1, have 40 points in the ECHL standings. The Indy Fuel has 38 points in the central division, at 17-21-2-2.

Kris Bennett stays hot

Bennett rejoined the Heartlanders on Jan. 29 after playing for the Iowa Wild — the Heartlanders AHL affiliate.

After returning to the Heartlanders, Bennett has recorded eight points in the past four contests.

Up Next

The Heartlanders will return to Xtream Arena in Coralville for a three-game series against the Utah Grizzlies on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday.

The Grizzlies are in first place in the ECHL Mountain Division, holding a 26-15 record. Puck drop for all three games is at 7 p.m.