Iowa track and field records seven all-time top 10 performances at Billy Hayes Invitational

Amanda Howe broke the school record in the hammer throw Saturday.

Iowa+thrower+Amanda+Howe+competes+in+the+women%E2%80%99s+weight+throw+during+the+Hawkeye+Invitational+at+the+Hawkeye+Tennis+and+Recreation+Complex+on+Friday%2C+Jan+10%2C+2020.+Howe+won+the+event+with+a+throw+of+18.89m.+

Jenna Galligan

Iowa thrower Amanda Howe competes in the women’s weight throw during the Hawkeye Invitational at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex on Friday, Jan 10, 2020. Howe won the event with a throw of 18.89m.

Lauren Swanson, Sports Reporter

The Iowa track and field team competed in Bloomington, Indiana last weekend at the Billy Hayes Invitational.

On day two of the meet Saturday, the Hawkeyes recorded six all-time top 10 performances and one school record.

Amanda Howe broke the school record in the hammer throw with a mark of 62.65 meters. Allison Wahrman received the bronze medal with a career-best 60.53 meters.

In the shot put. Laulauga Tausaga took the silver medal in shot put with a mark of 17.45 meters, while Kat Moody finished third with a mark of 16.30 meters. Moddy’s mark is third all-time in program history.

Tausaga picked up the win in the discus throw with a mark of 58.22 meters, while Serena Brown earned the silver medal with a mark of 57.02 meters.

Jordan Johnson got second in the discus throw for the men with a mark of 55.33 meters, while Tyler Lienau ended in third with a throw of 54.03 meters. Dawson Ellingson and Jordan Hawkins finished sixth and seventh, respectively, as they recorded career-best marks of 50.74 meters and 50.10 meters.

Cole Moeller got a career-best in the high jump with a jump of 2.09, giving him fourth.

James Carter received the gold medal in the men’s triple jump with a mark of 15.79 meters. On the women’s side with a mark of 12.62 meters, Kayla Hutchins earned a bronze medal.

The men’s 4×100-meter relay team of Jaylan McConico, Antonio Woodard, Austin Kresley, and Wayne Lawrence Jr. recorded a season best and winning time of 39.68. The women’s 4×100-meter relay team of Tia Saunders, Tesa Roberts, Tionna Tobias, and LaSarah Hargrove received the silver medal with a time of 45.57.

McConico brought home the gold medal recording in the 110 hurdles. McConico recorded a time of 13.54 in the prelims and then beat that time by .09 seconds in the final with a time of 13.42, a career best. That time ranks second all-time in school history behind Aaron Mallet. Jamal Britt finished second with a time of 13.54.

RELATED: Iowa track and field set to compete at Billy Hayes Invitational

Lawrence Jr. got the gold medal in the in the 400 meters, earning a season’s best time of 45.80.

Jenny Kimbro won the 100 hurdles, finishing it in 13.61. Paige Magee was second, finishing a second behind Kimbro. With a time of 13.97, Myreanna Bebe finished third. She recorded a career-best in the prelims with a time of 13.70.

Kimbro also won the 400-meter intermediate hurdles with a season’s best time of 58.43. Mariel Bruxvoort’s second place time of 59.61 is 10th best in program history. On the men’s side, Austin Lietz got first with a career-best time of 50.99.

Kresley got the silver medal in the 100 with a time of 10.51.

In the 800 meters, Mallory King earned the silver medal with a time of 2:05.23.

With a season’s best time of 20.67, Woodward won the 200 meters. Austin Kresley finished a career-best of 21.06, giving him second.

Tysen VanDraska got a career-best time of 1:48.21 in the 800 meters, placing him in second. That time is seventh best in program history. Alec Still finished in third with a time of 1:48.47, which is a career-best and ranks eighth in program history.

On day one, the distance team was led by Dan Soto, Noah Healy, and Nathan Mylenek, who all recorded all time performances.

Soto recorded an all-time top 10 performance in the 5,000 meters by finishing the event with a career-best time of 13:55.71. That time is third all-time in school history. In that same event, Healy finished sixth with a time of 14:13.74, just a little over a second from his career best.

In the 3,000-meter steeplechase, Mylenek got the bronze medal with a season’s best time of 8:44.96.

“I was very pleased with the overall meet,” Iowa director of track and field Joey Woody said in a release. “I feel very positive about the direction we are going as a team for both men and women. We made some big moves on the Big Ten and NCAA lists this weekend and I feel very good going into the next two weeks.”

The Hawkeyes will travel to Madison, Wisconsin, next, to compete at the Big Ten Invite No. 4 May 8.