Iowa rowing finishes regular season in Michigan

The Hawkeyes concluded the 2021 regular season Sunday against Michigan and Louisville.

On+the+lake+on+Saturday%2C+April+24%2C+2021.+University+of+Iowa+2+Novice+8+rowing+team+gets+an+early+warmup.+The+Hawkeyes+won+with+a+time+of+7%3A14.50.+

Jeff Sigmund

On the lake on Saturday, April 24, 2021. University of Iowa 2 Novice 8 rowing team gets an early warmup. The Hawkeyes won with a time of 7:14.50.

Evan Bruner, Sports Reporter

The Iowa rowing team raced through challenging conditions in its regular season finale Sunday against No. 5 Michigan and Louisville at Belleville Lake in Michigan.

Throughout the morning, the team had to deal with strong crosswinds and choppy waters.

The Hawkeyes competed in six races and came in second place to Michigan in the II Varsity 8, II Varsity 4, I Novice 8, and II Novice 8.

The I Varsity 4 and I Varsity 8 both finished in last place.

RELATED: Iowa rowing performs well despite lineup changes at Saturday’s home regatta

Although the Hawkeyes didn’t win any races, Iowa head coach Andrew Carter had some positive takeaways from Sunday.

“It was a tough day here in Michigan,” Carter said in a release. “Everyone loves to race in calm conditions, but sometimes that just can’t happen. I think we were reminded of some important things.

“In the end, I was proud of the attitude and resilience of our crews. The recovery and response of our 1V4 and 1V8 after their pretty major setbacks was special and speaks to the spirit of this team. We’re all looking forward now to final preparations and an opportunity to compete at the B1G Championship.”

The Hawkeyes will now regroup before racing at the Big Ten Championships May 16 in Indianapolis, where they look to qualify for their fourth straight NCAA Championships.