Iowa City blasted by another winter storm

In a second winter storm advisory for Johnson County since the start of the semester, University of Iowa and city leaders ask students and residents to stay safe.

A+snow+plow+shovels+snow+on+Clinton+Street+in+Iowa+City+on+Thursday%2C+Feb.+4%2C+2021.+A+winter+storm+warning+was+issued+for+eastern+Iowa.+

Grace Smith

A snow plow shovels snow on Clinton Street in Iowa City on Thursday, Feb. 4, 2021. A winter storm warning was issued for eastern Iowa.

Rachel Schilke, News Editor

Iowans were hit with another winter storm on Thursday, with the National Weather Service expecting 6 to 9 inches of snow for Iowa City.

University of Iowa Associate Vice President and Dean of Students Angie Reams sent out a campus-wide email on Thursday warning students, faculty, and staff of snow, wind, rain, and very cold temperatures.

Temperatures are expected to dip below zero not just today, but well into next week,” Reams said in the email. “When it is this cold, it is important to limit time outdoors, dress in layers, and stay dry to keep yourself warm.

She added that it is expected to drop below zero moving into next week, and that students will be alerted about class cancellations through a HawkAlert and post the announcement to the UI Homepage.

As previously reported by The Daily Iowan, this is the latest winter storm of the year, with the NWS in the Quad Cities issuing a Winter Storm Warning on Jan. 25.

The current Winter Storm Warning will last until Friday at 5 a.m. According to NWS, there is likely to be more snow on Friday and Saturday, and a 50 percent chance of snow for Sunday and 40 percent chance of snow for the coming Monday.

North Liberty issued a release, stating that on-street parking would be prohibited starting at 9 a.m. on Thursday and ending at 9 a.m. on Friday. North Liberty was expected to get 2 to 5 inches, according to the release.

Residents of North Liberty were urged to avoid travel if possible due to slick roads, and reminded to clear their sidewalks within 48 hours of snowfall.

UI Graduate and Professional Student Government posted on Twitter and said UI Parking and Transportation will offer free jumps to any students, faculty, or staff on the UI’s main campus.

Both the City of Iowa City transit service and the UI CAMBUS service posted on Twitter that the buses were experiencing delays due to snow, wind, and impassable areas.