University of Iowa reports positive COVID-19 cases

As University of Iowa and Hospitals and Clinics distributes experimental treatments and the university plans for asymptomatic screening next semester, on-campus cases continue to decelerate from November upticks.

Jenna Galligan

The Old Capitol is seen on Thursday, March 12, 2020.

Grace Hamilton, News Reporter

The University of Iowa reported 19 new self-reported positive cases of COVID-19 on campus since Dec. 9. 

Students represented 16 of the newly reported cases, bringing the semester total to 2,782 positive COVID-19 cases. Employees saw an increase of 3 cases, accumulating to 312 semester-to-date COVID-19 cases among university employees.  

In the campus-wide email update, the UI also reported zero residence hall students in quarantine and one residence hall student in self-isolation. 

As previously reported by The Daily Iowan, the university is planning to implement access to BinaxNOW rapid antigen for asymptomatic screening next semester with hopes to control COVID-19’s spread on campus.

As the Iowa City community awaits a vaccine, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics is currently distributing an experimental COVID-19 treatment, the Regeneron monoclonal antibody, for emergency use authorization, as previously reported by The Daily Iowan.

Since Dec. 9, Johnson county’s 14-day case total increased with 27 new cases, numbering to 863 total positive cases. The 14-day percentage of positive test results sits at 11 percent in the county.