C.J. Fredrick

Robert Read, Pregame Editor

Luka Garza is going to be Iowa’s top scorer this season. Duh. As for who comes in at No. 2? There are several good candidates.

Jordan Bohannon is as healthy as he’s been in years and going into last season, Joe Wieskamp was thought to be the top scoring option for Iowa, before Garza displayed game after game that he is the best player in men’s college basketball.

But I’m going with C.J. Fredrick.

As a redshirt freshman last season, the Cincinnati, Ohio, native ranked third on the team with 10.2 points per game, but led the Big Ten with a 46.2 3-point field goal percentage.

Fredrick did miss six full games with injuries, and in July had a surgery on his right foot. A fully healthy Fredrick should see an even greater workload this season.

In his first season of playing time with the Hawkeyes, Fredrick attempted only 7.2 shots per game. Even with the incredible depth Iowa has this season, I’d expect that number to be closer to double-digits.

Opposing teams are going to defend Garza with multiple players, which should benefit Iowa’s trio of sharpshooters. Wieskamp is still the priority on the perimeter for opposing teams, which should leave Fredrick with a good number of uncontested shots.

This isn’t necessarily good for my argument, but Fredrick, Bohannon, and Wieskamp are all solid choices here. The fact that there are so many options in this category speaks to how fun this Hawkeye team will be to watch.

But again, I’ll say Fredrick. This quote from last season continues to stay with me.

“It’s going to be a pain in the ass to see [Fredrick] the next four years,” Illinois coach Brad Underwood said last season.