Lugo wins nail-biter at 149

Pat Lugo’s explosive matchup against Jarrett Degen featured sparks for the Hawkeyes.

Iowa’s 149-pound Pat Lugo wrestles Iowa State’s Jarrett Degen during a wrestling dual meet between Iowa and Iowa State at the Hilton Coliseum in Ames on Sunday, November 24, 2019. Lugo won by decision, 4-3, and the Hawkeyes defeated the Cyclones, 29-6. (Shivansh Ahuja/The Daily Iowan)

Austin Hanson, Sports Reporter

Momentum often plays a determining role in sports of every kind. Wrestling is no different. The man that has the momentum tries to keep it, and the man who does not tries to steal it.

On Sunday, Iowa’s Pat Lugo and Iowa State’s Jarrett Degen epitomized this struggle for momentum. The matchup detailed multiple lead changes, two official reviews, one challenge and plenty of momentum shifts.

Lugo, a senior, led 2-1 when the first period concluded. For the majority of the period it seemed as if Lugo was in control of the matchup.

During the second, Degen was able to recover. The junior’s escape was the only point scored in the second period.

Despite a rather benign first two periods, the third period produced no shortage of fireworks. Still tied at 2-2 during the middle of the period, it appeared as if Degen was ready to bring the match to a close.

Degen seemed to have Lugo pinned on his back for some sort of nearfall, but it was never called. After a lengthy review of the sequence, the no-call stood, and Lugo had a 3-2 lead with 1:02 to go.

The first review was merely just a sample of what was to come. A second review took place at the end of the match. As the buzzer expired, Degen again took Lugo to the ground. The takedown would’ve sent Degen into the winner’s circle on the day.

During the second review, head coach Tom Brands exchanged some words with the officials. Eventually, Brands would be escorted back to the bench by his staff.

“It was more of a manage the chaos kind of thing,” Brands said. “I think they probably handled it right. In the corner we missed it, we missed the locked hands. It was blatant, the guy still had control, went to his butt and locked his hands around the chest. It was the right call. A lot going on there on the edge. When a coach is wound up and wrapped up in discussion with the referee that usually means that things aren’t going your way. We were in a pickle there.”

From the review, Degen’s takedown occurred after the clock expired on the match.

Cyclone head coach Kevin Dresser then challenged the locked hands call that preceded the closing sequence.

“I guess they got in a scramble there,” Dresser said. “Jarrett thought the referee gave a reversal. He continued to wrestle and locked hands, but the referee did not give the reversal, so it became a locked hands before he whipped the guy to his back.”

The officials upheld the ruling on the mat, lifting Lugo to his first victory in three attempts against Degen. The decision gave Iowa a 12-3 lead, leading to Iowa’s 29-6 win on the day.

The victory improved the Hawkeyes’ record to 2-0 on the season and will serve as a springboard into their next matchup. Iowa takes on Wisconsin at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Dec. 1. The matchup is slated to start at 7:00 p.m.