Brands triad propels Iowa wrestling toward the future

The Brands family has been a Hawkeye staple since the early 1990s. Redshirt freshman Nelson Brands now has his chance to compete in the black and gold singlet.

Iowa’s 184-pound Nelson Brands wrestles UTC’s Matthew Waddell during a wrestling dual-meet between Iowa and Tennessee-Chattanooga at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Sunday, Nov. 17, 2019. Brands won by decision, 8-4, and the Hawkeyes defeated the Mocs, 39-0.

Austin Hanson, Sports Reporter

Iowa wrestling is synonymous with two last names: Gable and Brands. Dan Gable has been retired from coaching since 1997, and, since 2006, the Brands family has helped carry the Hawkeye legacy.

In 1989, Gable recruited brothers Tom and Terry Brands. With Gable’s tutelage, Tom Brands won three national titles, three Big Ten titles, and posted a 158-7-2 career record at Iowa.

Terry Brands also found a great deal of success as Hawkeye, winning two national titles, three Big Ten titles, and earning a 137-7 record.

After their playing days, the Brands brothers coached in assisting roles at Iowa. Terry Brands assisted up until 2000, and Tom assisted from 1993 to 2004.

Despite going their separate ways for a number of years, Tom and Terry returned to take coaching positions at Iowa. Tom took over as head coach in 2006, and Terry joined him as associate head coach 2008.

Last Sunday, the newest chapter of the book of Brands was written. Terry Brands’ son, Nelson Brands, took the mat for the first time at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

“It was a surreal moment,” Nelson Brands said. “I watched them since I was a toddler, and by them I mean us. It was something else. I never expected the fans to be like that — so loud. You can definitely hear it. You can feel the vibrations.”

Nelson Brands competed against the most formidable foe Tennessee at Chattanooga had to offer. Sophomore Matthew Waddell came into the match 5-1 and left 5-2. Nelson defeated Waddell 8-4.

“I like when guys go out and score points,” Tom Brands said. “I think [Nelson] could probably stay in there more [during] the middle of [his] match. It was a good first time out.”

Nelson Brands grew up around Hawkeye wrestling. Despite having some familiarity, the nerves were still present.

RELATED: New and familiar faces help lift Iowa wrestling to 39-0 win

“Nervous is an understatement,” Nelson Brands said. “[I was] peeing every five minutes upstairs. It was fun. I got those nerves out.

“You have no idea what it’s like until you’re out on that mat. It was something crazy.”

Nelson’s début does not appear to signify a cemented spot at 184 pounds. Senior Cash Wilcke started at 184 pounds for Iowa last season and was listed on the probable lineup earlier in the week.

“We’re going to keep getting guys ready to go,” Tom Brands said. “[It was] our best team today, because Wilcke wrestled yesterday. We’ve got work to do to get all our guys ready to go. There’s a reason why Wilcke went to [a different event] this weekend.”

Regardless of how the Hawkeyes’ lineup shakes out this season, the future is bright for the redshirt freshman. With coaches like his father and uncle, there is no telling what the young Hawkeye’s ceiling may be.

“Now [I] have to strive to be somebody like Michael Kemerer,” Nelson Brands said. “I get to drill with him and Marinelli. I get to drill with the best in the nation. I can’t ask to be anywhere else.”