Iowa City man accused of multiple felonies

Rachel Steil, News Reporter

An Iowa City man has been accused of multiple felonies after attempting a burglary and vehicle theft.

Charles Niphong, 19, was charged Oct. 21 with second-degree attempted burglary, dominion/control of a firearm/offensive weapon as a felon, trafficking stolen weapons, possession of a controlled substance, and first-degree theft.

According to the arrest affidavit, on Oct. 19, police were called to Samoa Drive in response to a burglary in progress. When police arrived on the scene, Niphong took off running and was not located. Police were able to identify Niphong using surveillance cameras in the area, the affidavit said.

On Oct. 20, police responded to 2544 Clearwater Court for a call reporting a vehicle theft. The victim’s Chevy Silverado — worth $49,000 — was taken from in front of his residence. Police were able to identify Niphong as the thief through surveillance cameras, the affidavit said. Niphong stole the vehicle and drove to the Williamsburg area where he proceeded to commit burglaries.

On Oct. 21, police entered Niphong’s residence at 2411 Bartelt Road with a search warrant. Once in the residence, police located marijuana and a Springfield X4 .40 caliber firearm, the affidavit said.

First-degree theft is a Class-C felony. Attempted second-degree burglary, dominion/control of a firearm/offensive weapon as a felon, and trafficking stolen weapons are all Class-D felonies.