Iowa City man has been accused of attempted second-degree burglary

Rachel Steil, News Reporter

An Iowa City man has been accused of attempted burglary.

Darell Henry, 25, was charged on Oct. 18 with third-degree attempted burglary, attempted second-degree burglary, assault on peace officers/others, fifth-degree criminal mischief, third-degree burglary, second-degree theft, second-degree burglary, and a third-degree burglary of an unoccupied vehicle.

The charges of third-degree burglary, second-degree burglary, and third-degree burglary of an unoccupied vehicle are from events in 2016 and 2015. The other five charges are from events on Oct. 18.

According to the arrest affidavit, police were called to 201 Woodside Drive in Iowa City on Oct. 18 when a resident saw Henry on video attempting to burglarize multiple apartments. When police arrived, Henry could not be located, but police observed screen doors that had been damaged.

Police were then called back to the location when a resident reported that Henry had returned, the affidavit said. When police arrived, Henry was found in one of the apartments.

Henry then charged at an officer and began to strike at him. Henry took off running, eventually going into a pond when told to stop. According to the affidavit, Henry swam away as police told him to swim to shore. Henry was eventually pulled out of the pond.

Attempted second-degree burglary is a Class-D felony.