Gov. Kim Reynolds declares Sept. 28 as ‘Carson King Day’

Gov. Kim Reynolds declared that Sept. 28 will be Carson King Day to celebrate the fundraising efforts of the “Iowa Legend.”

Kinsey Phipps, News Reporter

After a simple sign turned into a donation of more than $1 million to the University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital, Gov. Kim Reynolds has announced that Sept. 28 will be known as Carson King Day in the state of Iowa.

King appeared on College GameDay at the Sept. 14 Cy-Hawk game in Ames with a sarcastic cry for beer money, which soon turned into an outpouring of donations to the Children’s Hospital. King said his goal is to reach $2 million in donations by Sept. 30.

The story of the Altoona resident was picked up across the nation with features in news outlets across the country, including Good Morning America and The Washington Post.

Last week, Venmo and Busch Beer agreed to match all donations raised through the end of the month when the fundraiser closes, King said. A slew of local businesses jumped on the bandwagon, including King’s brother’s business, deWit Construction & Remodeling; his employer, Prairie Meadows Casino, Racetrack, & Hotel; and Goldie’s Ice Cream Shoppe out of King’s hometown.

King and his family were invited to Kinnick Stadium for the Iowa vs. Middle Tennessee football game this Saturday to participate in the Wave. Although King will be the lone Cyclone in a sea of Hawkeye fans, his love for the kids is just the same.

“I think it shows that Iowans are there to help one another. It doesn’t matter if you’re a Cyclone fan, Hawkeye fan, or Panther fan, we are all Iowans. When you say Iowa Nice, you really mean it,” King said in a previous interview with The Daily Iowan.

RELATED: Carson King receives slew of goodies in Busch sign aftermath

The day King will wave to the kids at the Children’s Hospital now coincides with Carson King Day. Reynolds, joined by King, read the official proclamation when it was signed Wednesday morning.

“Whereas, volunteerism and selflessness define Iowans by nature. Because in Iowa, individuals like Carson King demonstrate how Iowa Nice isn’t just a slogan, but our way of life … Carson King has shown that one person can make a difference and one person can make positive change even through the unlikeliest of ways…” Reynolds said.

The Anheuser-Busch company announced Tuesday that it is severing ties with King in light of controversial social-media posts from 2011.

“Carson King had multiple social-media posts that do not align with our values as a brand or as a company and we will have no further association with him,” Anheuser-Busch said, as previously reported by KCCI News. “We are honoring our commitment by donating more than $350,000 to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.”

“I cannot go back and change what I posted when I was a 16-year-old,” King said in a statement following these events. “I can apologize and work to improve every day and make a meaningful difference in people’s lives.”

RELATED: Busch cuts ties with Carson King following offensive tweets

Geneseo Brewing Co. based out of Geneseo, Illinois, released a statement on Facebook Wednesday against Anheuser-Busch’s decision and in support of King’s mission.

“We have witnessed your growth through your later social-media content and accept your apology…We, as an Independent American Craft Beer Company, would like to continue your efforts by naming a new Pilsner ‘Iowa Legend’ and donating a dollar from every pint and 16-ounce can sold to your cause until the batch is sold out,” the statement reads.

Though the proclamation of Carson King Day didn’t result from Anheuser-Busch’s decision, Reynolds did comment on the matter. Her official Facebook page displays a selfie of King and herself captioned, “You can make a mistake in your life, and still go on to do amazing things. Carson King, thank you for reminding us all of that! #IowaProud.”