Riverside man accused of theft and domestic abuse

Rachel Steil, News Reporter

A Riverside man has been accused of second-degree theft and domestic abuse/assault impeding air/blood flow.

Nikolas Petersen, 33, was charged Sept. 10 with child endangerment without injury, domestic abuse/assault impeding air/blood flow, second-degree theft, two counts of unauthorized computer access, obstruction of emergency communications, and domestic assault/abuse.

According to the arrest affidavit, Petersen was at 755 Mission Point Road in Iowa City on Aug. 31 watching his nine-month-old child while his wife was at work. Petersen and his wife are separated.

The affidavit said that when his wife returned from work, she found him in her bed. She confronted Petersen and he slammed her onto the bed and proceeded to choke her with his forearm and bicep. Petersen also punched his wife in the face with a closed fist.

According to the affidavit, Petersen grabbed his wife’s iPhone and unlocked it using her face. During the altercation, his wife attempted to call 911 by voice commanding her iPhone. Petersen repeatedly stopped the phone calls and threw the iPhone to the corner of the living room.

Petersen left the residence, the affidavit said, and the victim proceeded to grab the crying nine-month-old child and her iPhone in the living room. Petersen re-entered the residence, and the victim ran to the kitchen to grab a knife. Petersen cornered the victim and nine-month-old child, the affidavit said.

Petersen grabbed his wife’s iPad and $600 from her wallet before leaving the residence, the affidavit said. Petersen fled to the West Des Moines area.

Second-degree theft and domestic abuse/assault impeding air/blood flow are Class-D felonies.