Hawkeyes topple Cyclones in Cy-Hawk bout

After a scoreless first half, Iowa found the back of the net twice in the second to down Iowa State.

Hannah Kinson

Iowa midfielder Natalie Winters passes the ball during a women’s soccer match between Iowa and Iowa State on Thursday, August 29, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Cyclones, 2-1.

Isaac Goffin, Sports Reporter

The first Cy-Hawk series game of the season got off to an intense start, despite neither Iowa nor Iowa State scoring in the first half. But the Hawkeyes pulled through in the second to capture a 2-1 victory and move to 3-0-0 on the season.

In the 69th minute, sophomore forward Jenny Cape scored the go-ahead goal, with the assists coming from freshman forward Gianna Gourley and sophomore forward Samantha Tawharu.

However, things turned in the 84th minute when Cyclone forward Abbey Van Wyngarden scored an equalizer.

The goal did not break the Hawkeyes’ spirit at all. Seven seconds later, senior midfielder Natalie Winters scored the game-winner — her third goal of the season — to put Iowa ahead in the Cy-Hawk series.

“Both of our goals were special goals by special players,” Iowa head coach Dave DiIanni said. “We’ve been begging our forwards to get to the near post and Jenny Cape gets to the near post and has a nice goal and a nice little flick.

“Then, Natalie Winters, arguably our best player, comes back [after the Iowa State goal] and seven seconds later puts it away. Really proud of our kids, showed a lot of character to come back and shows our upside is when we’re down.”

After Winters put the final score in the back of the net, Iowa felt the emotions.

“It was just pure joy,” senior defender and captain Hannah Drkulec said. “I got to see one of my best friends do what she can do so well. A great cross from Devin Burns to her and just look up and just hit a perfect shot.

“It was awesome and such a good feeling to know that even if we have a mental lapse, we can come back, and we have the quality to make those shots and take those goals.”

The fact that Iowa grinded out a win after failing to get on the scoreboard in the first half shows what the team is capable of in a short period of time.

“[This game] shows how great our mentality is and how much we want to win,” Winters said.

The first half presented many opportunities for Iowa to score, as it controlled the time of possession for a good chunk of the half and outshot the Cyclones, 12-2.

However, even with three corner kicks, Iowa failed to score. The Hawkeyes had two solid opportunities when Hailey Rydberg and Samantha Tawharu both overshot the goal.

“We probably played our best soccer in the first half, but we just didn’t knock them out,” DiIanni said.

Cyclones goalkeeper Dayja Schwichtenberg impressed in the first half, racking up 5 saves.

After finally finding the goal in the second, however, Iowa has a plan to continue its winning streak.

“I just think coming in with the same mindset and this is our home, this is our field, and no one going to come out here and outplay us,” DiIanni said.

Iowa soccer will finish its four-game home stand on Sept. 1 against Illinois State at 3 p.m.