Positivity profiteering can be problematic

Elijah Helton, Opinions Editor

I’m all for self-confidence and living true to yourself. I’m definitely in favor of liberation for anyone who might be held down by society. I 100 percent support everyone — especially women, in this case — having fun and feeling comfortable in their bodies and environment.

What I’m concerned about is Hot Girl Summer losing its original liberating themes and becoming just another theme to be swallowed up by capitalism. If we’re going to have a Hot Girl Summer for everyone, it needs to maintain that it’s not just a new marketing tagline.

As Megan Thee Stallion, who coined the phrase “Hot Girl Summer, said, “It’s just basically about women — and men — just being unapologetically them.” That positive energy gets clouded by brands’ Twitter accounts trying to ride the wave. In other words, we don’t need Wendy’s and Maybelline trying to make money off of something that’s perfectly fine without greedy marketing tactics.

This is similar to complaints made about brands using rainbows during last month’s Pride. Of course, that’s much more condemnable because of Pride’s history and some brands simply using gay people as a prop. But the principle still remains.

In the grand scheme of things, this is very minor. The world isn’t going to end if an extra 4 for $4 gets sold because whoever runs Wendy’s social media is good at spotting internet trends. But if we’re having a hot girl summer, let’s leave big business out of it.