Presidential candidate Julián Castro to make Iowa City stop April 14

Presidential hopeful Julián Castro will return to the Mill on April 14, where he’ll be interviewed for the Political Party Live podcast.

Francine Orr/Los Angeles Times/TNS

Democratic presidential candidate Julian Castro, left, speaks during a visit to a Chicano Studies class in Moore Hall auditorium at UCLA in Los Angeles on March 4, 2019. (Francine Orr/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

Sarah Watson, Politics Editor

Julián Castro is scheduled to stop in Iowa City on April 14 as he campaigns for the Democratic nomination for president.

Castro served as the secretary of Housing and Urban Development in the Obama administration beginning in 2014 after a five-year stint as the mayor of San Antonio.

Castro announced his bid for the White House in January in his home city of San Antonio.

He’ll record a podcast with Political Party Live at the Mill at 7 p.m. April 14. Three other Democratic presidential hopefuls have done interviews with the hosts of the podcast: Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., tech executive Andrew Yang, and former Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke.

April 14 won’t be the first visit for Castro. With little prior announcement, he stopped by the Mill on April 3 for a League of United Latin American Citizens Council 308 game of La Lotería, the Iowa City Press-Citizen reported.

This week has been a busy one for Iowa City area Democratic politicos. O’Rourke visited the IMU on Aplril 7, Harris is set to host a town hall at the same place on April 10, and Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper will come to Back Pocket Brewery on April 12.

Keep track of future and past 2020 candidate visits with The Daily Iowan’s candidate tracker.