Baller: Petty videos about college scandal are making YouTubers famous

YouTubers are gaining fame from the recent college scandal by posting videos exposing those involved.

TNS

Lori Loughlin, right, with daughter Olivia Jade Giannulli at the "Women's Cancer Research Fund's Unforgettable Evening" charity gala on Feb. 27, 2018 at the Beverly Wilshire Four Seasons Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif. (Dave Bedrosian/Future-Image/Zuma Press/TNS)

Kasey Baller, Opinions Columnist

Often events, stories, or individuals that are expressed negatively make the news. The most recent college scandal is an example of just that. Many of us have heard of the college scandal involving Lori Loughlin — famous from “Full House” and Felicity Huffman — famous from “Desperate Housewives” along with 33 other parents. These individuals were charged with bribery to get their kids enrolled in college. Everyone involved with this scandal is receiving major repercussions on their careers, personal lives, and academics. Despite the outcomes that came from this scandal, it is another example of individuals being hungry to hear the negativity and landing fame in individuals’ laps.

Arguably one of the most famous students from this scandal is Lori Loughlin’s daughter, Olivia Jade, a YouTube vlogger and influencer. HP, Sephora, Lulus, Amazon, Dolce & Gabanna, and many more companies plan to never work with Olivia Jade ever again. She may have lost an abundance over this tragedy and major mistake, but others are rapidly gaining.

RELATED: Neal: Transparency in tweeting? No thanks.

Days after the scandal was publicized, YouTubers released videos explaining their “relationship” with these students. YouTuber Winnie Harlow released a video explaining her take on Olivia Jade’s school career as they went to high school together. Harlow discusses how she did not know Olivia but then continued to analyze the scandal and gain tons of popularity off of it. She even made it on “Good Morning America.” Harlow has made many comments regarding how she never expected to gain popularity off one video.

At the end of the day, people like flabbergasting news for entertainment. Unfortunately, that flabbergasting news is usually negative news or gossip. The college scandal was another example of individuals eager for attention.

Many college athletes or University of Southern California rejects made videos expressing their frustration. They discussed how they were not admitted to the college of their dreams, and some discussed the pressures and talent necessary to be a college athlete. Not just anyone should have these opportunities land in their laps.

RELATED: Neal: Political jargon: Why it’s important to be critical

Some YouTubers made good points regarding the issues, others … not so much. But almost all managed to gain popularity. Many have used YouTube to promote their viewpoints and to get messages across to as many as possible. YouTubers can make revenue in a number of ways, but it mainly depends on the number of views. These “on the rise” YouTubers’ payments skyrocketed after the release of their videos.

Unfortunately, individuals were able to make incredible revenue from their videos as negative issues and topics make the news. Personally, I do not feel some of the YouTubers were credible enough to talk about the situations that they did. Many did not even have facts to back up what they were saying as it was more or less gossip.

Despite the videos revolving around unfactual discussion, they do serve as entertainment for many. Particularly college students who form an opinion on the issue or those who were fans of those involved in the scandal.

Perhaps these YouTubers were not trying to promote negativity or counterproductive gossip through their videos but instead encouraging individuals to take a stand on this issue and realize the effect it places on certain individuals. At the end of the day, people like flabbergasting news for entertainment. Unfortunately, that flabbergasting news is usually negative news or gossip. The college scandal was another example of individuals eager for attention.