Kamala Harris to visit University of Iowa April 10

Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., speaks during a town hall at the Quad Cities Waterfront  Convention Center in Bettendorf, Iowa on  Sunday Feb. 24, 2019.

Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., speaks during a town hall at the Quad Cities Waterfront Convention Center in Bettendorf, Iowa on Sunday Feb. 24, 2019.

Nick Rohlman

Nick Rohlman

Nick Rohlman

Julia DiGiacomo, Politics Reporter

Presidential hopeful and U.S. Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., is making her first stop at the University of Iowa next Wednesday, April 10 while campaigning for the Democratic nomination.

The town hall will be hosted at the Iowa Memorial Union. Doors will open at 6:30 p.m. and the event will kick off at 7 p.m.

Harris is expected to speak on her plan to raise the salaries of Iowa teachers. Her goal includes giving Iowa teachers a $12,000 raise in her first four years as president, according to an April 3 campaign press release.

Harris’ upcoming Iowa tour will mark her third visit to the state since announcing her presidential bid in January. She most recently toured the state in February, when she stopped in cities such as Cedar Rapids, Ankeny, Ames, and Bettendorf.

The campaign will also be hosting several trainings on college campuses April 16-18 which the campaign said aims to connect students and young Iowans with the political process and with Harris’ campaign. She’ll stop by the University of Iowa, Iowa State, University of Northern Iowa, Drake, and Des Moines Area Community College.

Presidential candidates Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, and Andrew Yang have also held campaign events at the IMU so far this year. Former Democratic Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke will be campaigning at the IMU on April 7.

Facebook Comments