Iowa softball hopes to make adjustments against Northwestern

The bats were quiet for Iowa softball on Wednesday night, but the team will try to right the ship with Northwestern coming to town this weekend.

David Harmantas

University of Iowa softball player Allison Doocy winds up to pitch during a game against Western Illinois University on Tuesday, Apr. 17, 2018. The Fighting Leathernecks defeated the Hawkeyes 2-1.

Pete Mills, Sports Reporter

After a tough home-opening loss to Western Illinois on Wednesday, Iowa softball will try to regain its composure at home with a Big Ten series against Northwestern this weekend.

The team was trounced in a blowout loss to the Leathernecks, 10-1. The Hawkeyes struggled to get anything going, cycling through three pitchers with minimal production at the plate.

Erin Riding, Allison Doocy, and Sarah Lehman took the circle. Riding had the start for the Hawkeyes after pitching four scoreless innings at Purdue last weekend, but she gave up a grand slam to the Leathernecks early.

“I’m going to look back at what I did correctly at Purdue and what I did wrong here, and really make sure I do it right this weekend [against] Northwestern,” she said.

Team ERA leader Doocy was called on to relieve Riding. Iowa’s ace saw a lot of action last weekend, starting numerous games, so the game against Western Illinois was meant to be a rest for the coming weekend slate. But she’s used to being heavily relied upon, and the junior has pitched well more than half of Iowa’s innings.

RELATED: Young Iowa softball squad searching for offense after loss

Iowa’s big hitters were also quiet on Wednesday night, so they need to start getting contact in the first full home series. Neither DoniRae Mayhew or Mallory Kilian had a hit in the loss on Wednesday. Head coach Renee Gillispie said part of that may be adjustments to the team’s first game at Pearl Field.

“We tried to put them in every possible situation they would hit [early in the season],” Gillispie said. “Different fields, turf fields, playing at night, having wet conditions. We put them in every position we could to get them used to that before we started playing, and I think that helped them get accustomed to the travel. Now, we have to get accustomed to the [home field].”

Iowa has proved it can play on the road because of the early season experience. It had a 15-11 record heading into the Western Illinois contest, one of the program’s strongest early season touts in recent memory.

“I think we’re road warriors; we’re doing better on the road right now,” Gillispie said. “And now we have to learn how to play at home.”

Iowa has a good opportunity to do this against a very solid Northwestern team. The Wildcats sport a 22-7 overall record and an undefeated Big Ten mark. Their résumé includes a 5-0 win over No. 19 Indiana on March 16.

The team is full of big hitters. Morgan Newport and Jordyn Rudd have .349 averages, and they have combined for 5 home runs and 16 doubles. Iowa will have to tighten up its pitching to hold down the Wildcats.

Although the bats weren’t fiery on Wednesday, several players have proven they can make noise at the plate. Mayhew leads the team with a .338 average with 3 home runs and 16 RBIs. Kilian isn’t far behind with a .305 average, with 13 RBIs and 7 doubles.

Kilian experimented leading off for the Hawkeyes against the Leathernecks but couldn’t get it done at the top of the order. Adjustments and experimenting, Gillispie said, are a part of the game, and being flexible is important

It’s a young team. But with a seasoned coaching staff, the team should make needed adjustments.