Iowa basketball’s Dailey set to transfer

Iowa men’s basketball guard Maishe Dailey has entered his name in the NCAA transfer portal.

Nick Rohlman

Iowa guard Maishe Dailey shoots a three during Iowa’s game against Nebraska at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Sunday, January 6, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Cornhuskers 93-84.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Iowa basketball guard Maishe Dailey has put his name in the NCAA transfer portal with the intention to depart the Hawkeye program, the junior announced Thursday.

“I would like to thank Coach McCaffery and the coaching staff for the opportunity to be a part of the Iowa program,” Dailey said in a release. “I want to wish my teammates the best of luck in the future.”

Dailey averaged 3.5 points per game in his Iowa career to go along with 1.7 rebounds and 1.1 assists. In 2018-19, he declined slightly, putting up 2.5 points a game with 1.5 boards and 0.9 assists.

Dailey’s best game of the season came in Iowa’s 77-63 season-opening win over Missouri-Kansas City on Nov. 8, 2018, in which he scored 11 points on 3-of-6 shooting and dished out 2 assists. His season-high in rebounds came against Savannah State on Dec. 22 when he pulled down 5, and he also racked up 3 assists on two occasions — once against Northern Iowa and once against Green Bay.

The Beachfield, Ohio, native scored his career-high in 2018 with a 16-point outing against Colorado.

“Maishe has expressed his desire to play his final season elsewhere,” Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery said in a release. “Maishe has been a great teammate and a valuable member of our program throughout his career. We thank him for his contributions to our program and we wish him the best.”

The Hawkeyes are coming off an 83-77 overtime loss to Tennessee in the NCAA Tournament. Dailey’s departure leaves a senior class of Jordan Bohannon, Tyler Cook, Isaiah Moss, Ryan Kriener, and Cordell Pemsl still on the roster.

With the returns of Pemsl and Jack Nunge and the additions of Patrick McCaffery and Joe Toussaint, Dailey’s path to playing time probably would have gotten a little foggier.