Guillory leads Iowa track into outdoor season

With Iowa’s outdoor track and field season beginning this weekend, Briana Guillory is looking for the squad to move up to a whole different level.

Iowas+Briana+Guillory+participates+in+the+Womens+600m+Run+during+the+annual+Black+and+Gold+Intrasquad+Meet+at+the+UI+Recreation+Building+on+Saturday%2C+Dec.+9%2C+2017.+Guillory+finished+first+with+a+time+of+1%3A30%3A01.+The+Hawkeyes+will+host+the+next+meet+on+January+13.+

Ben Allan Smith

Iowa’s Briana Guillory participates in the Women’s 600m Run during the annual Black and Gold Intrasquad Meet at the UI Recreation Building on Saturday, Dec. 9, 2017. Guillory finished first with a time of 1:30:01. The Hawkeyes will host the next meet on January 13.

Robert Read, Sports Reporter

Briana Guillory’s résumé speaks for itself, and what it says is rather impressive.

An eight-time All-American and a Big Ten champion, Guillory has had success from the moment she put on the Black and Gold.

As a freshman four years ago, she got off to a blazing start. She ran her way to an outdoor 200-meter conference title and ran second leg on the 1,600-meter relay that took home a Big Ten championship. For those performances and more, Guillory took home Big Ten Freshman of the Year and team MVP, and she was named Iowa’s outstanding freshman.

Now in her senior season, Guillory continues to enjoy success.

In her most recent performance at the Big Ten Indoor Championships, she ran her way to silver medals in both the 200 (23.37) and 400 (52.65). She also had more success in the relay, running anchor en route to another Big Ten championship in the event.

At the NCAA indoor meet, Guillory picked up her most recent All-American distinction on her way to finishing sixth nationally in the 400 (52.86).

Despite the recognition, Guillory believes her best race is still in front of her.

“I know my performance could have been better,” she said. “My personal best is faster than what I put up, and I know I can do better. I’m just happy to have the outdoor season to show that. But overall, getting an All-American is still an outstanding accolade.”

Guillory looks forward to her next opportunity to showcase her talents. Luckily for her, she will not have to wait very long.

Nick Rohlman
Iowa’s Sheridan Champe, Brittany Brown, Briana Guillory, and Sarah Flock prepare for the 4×400 meter relay during the Larry Wieczorek Invitational on Saturday, Jan. 20, 2017.

The outdoor track and field season kicks off today for Iowa. The team will compete in the Baldy Castillo Invitational in Tempe, Arizona.

With the start to the new season, Guillory has high expectations for her and the Hawkeyes.

“I’m expecting the energy of the team to go to a completely different level,” she said. “We have the conference meet on our home track, and that’s a great advantage. We know how it feels, we are familiar with it. This season is as good as any to reclaim a Big Ten title.”

The Big Ten Outdoor Championships will be held at the Cretzmeyer Track May 10-12. Iowa will have home-track advantage at the conference meet, which Guillory said the coaches keep the team quite aware of.

“The coaches are keeping it at the front of our minds,” she said. “They just won’t let us forget it. In our team meeting this morning, the coaches just brought it up and asked us what we wanted to be remembered for. We’ve got a big opportunity in front of us. Having the championship meet here in Iowa City will definitely act as motivation throughout the season. It will be one of the highlights of my career.”

Guillory will take her next step toward that moment today in Tempe. The meet will start at 12:30 p.m. with the field events and will conclude Saturday at 7 p.m. with the 1,600-meter relay.