Analyzing Iowa basketball’s matchup against Michigan

Iowa and Michigan will get a second dance, this time in the Big Ten Tournament.

Iowa+forward+Luka+Garza+looks+to+the+hoop+during+the+Iowa%2FMichigan+mens+basketball+game+at+Carver-Hawkeye+Arena+on+Friday%2C+February+1%2C+2019.+The+Hawkeyes+took+down+the+No.+5+ranked+Wolverines%2C+74-59.+

Lily Smith

Iowa forward Luka Garza looks to the hoop during the Iowa/Michigan men’s basketball game at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Friday, February 1, 2019. The Hawkeyes took down the No. 5 ranked Wolverines, 74-59.

CHICAGO – Now that it’s taken care of business against Illinois in its first game of the Big Ten Tournament, Iowa basketball turns its attention to Michigan.

The Hawkeyes and Wolverines clash in Friday’s final game. It will be their second meeting of the season.

Previously, Iowa took down then-No. 5 Michigan, 74-59, on Feb. 1 in Iowa City. Since then, the Hawkeyes are 5-5, with their win over the Illini snapping a four-game losing skid.

Michigan is 6-3 since its loss in Iowa City, having lost most recently to No. 9 Michigan State on March 9, 75-63.

Jon Teske is a defensive wizard.

Teske, a 7-1, 260-pound center, is one of the best defenders in the conference. This season, he leads the Wolverines with a +8.3 defensive box score rating – nearly 3 spots higher than the next Michigan player. His rating ranks 10th in the country and fourth-best in the Big Ten.

In Iowa’s win, however, Teske fouled out in just 13 minutes. He finished with 8 points and 8 rebounds, and without his consistent contribution on the court, Michigan allowed more than 70 points for just the second time in 22 games.

In his three years with the program, Teske has posted a defensive plus/minus better than 7.

Michigan’s 3-point defense could give Iowa trouble.

The Wolverines lead the country in total 3-point attempts allowed (503) and made (148). Opponents have hit 29.4 percent of their shots from downtown against Michigan.

In the previous matchup, Iowa made just six of its 14 attempts from 3-point range.

Michigan wins if…

It can get Ignas Brazeikis going offensively. The freshman from Canada averages 15 points per game. He’s scored 20 points or more on 10 occasions this season, and he’s averaged 20.3 in his past three games.

Iowa wins if…

It can exploit Michigan’s vaunted defense once again.

The Wolverines give up an average of 58.8 points per game, which ranks third in the country. Iowa averages 79, ranking in the top 50 nationally. The Hawkeyes are 10-2 when scoring 80 points or more.